Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runner bean soup  (Read 3615 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Runner bean soup
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:05:06 pm »
I woke up the other morning with this recipe complete in my head, so truly 'dreamed up'.  We have a huge glut of Runner beans this year, which has not previously happened here, so this is a way to use up lots.

I'm not giving weighed and measured ingredients as it's more for using what you have ready in the garden that day.  It comes out pretty much like pea and ham soup, and tastes fairly similar but lighter.

If you have a nice smokey ham bone, then make a couple of pints of stock with it, keeping the meaty bits too.  Otherwise, gently cook a few chopped rashers of bacon, add in a couple of chopped onions, a little chopped chilli, a few potatoes cut into small cubes, carrots the same, a couple of cloves of garlic, herbs to taste, a cooking apple peeled and chopped and a big pile of runner beans, destrung and chopped into 0.5cm chunks (I used about 2 or 3 lbs.  Add your stock or a veg or ham stock cube or those nice jelly-type pots, with enough water to cover the veg completely, then cook away for about 45 to 60 mins, until everything is very soft.  Liquidise thoroughly, bring back to the boil, adding more liquid if necessary, and serve with or without cream, and with some nice crusty bread on the side.
I think this would freeze really well for a hot reminder of summer in the depths of winter.
We love it  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Runner bean soup
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:48:39 pm »
That sounds really good. I shall give it a try if I can salvage some beans following total collapse of the wigwams and lots of rain!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:29:18 pm »
I might try that with French beans as I had a lot ready at once and I've not been fit enough to pick them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:48:03 pm »

Yes it would work with French beans too, although ours finished a while back.

Sorry about your runner bean disaster Louise. We once had our whole giant sturdy bean frame, back in our allotment days, wrenched out of the ground and dumped in a heap by vandals.   The beans carried on growing perfectly happily, and in fact with some helpful friends we were able to lift the whole thing up, wack in some more stobs and they carried on to the end of the season.  Rain would be a drawback though as it would make them muddy and attract slugs.

If you make it, do report back here whether it was good or yuck.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:09:36 pm »
Will do. I need to go and pick up soon. Which is probably why it has started raining.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS