Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambing advice  (Read 2258 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
lambing advice
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:29:29 am »
We are looking at a first try at breeding our sheep.  We have been told that in order to get all 5 ewes to lamb close together we should insert a hormone sponge.  In order to minimise sounding too daft to the vets, what is the name of the product we are looking for, and does it work well?  The problem I have is getting time off work for the lambing, I need to book time off now, so ideally need a relatively predicatable lambing window.  Advice really appreciated please!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: lambing advice
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:24:44 pm »
Go into the vets and look dull. I'm a vet and reckon most people look dull including the man in the mirror. Chronogest sponges and PMSG (maybe) talk to your vet and preferably have them show you how to put them in, had a call t'other night from a mate who had lost 7 sponges inside pedigree Charollais, my god they were a long way in nearly had to go in from the toothy end!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »
I would also go and speak to the vets about it, in general sponges go in for 12 days and it is best for the ewes to be in the field next to the tup. Then sponges come out (wear disposable gloves, quite a bit of gunk comes with the sponge) and then tup goes in - all excited, we didn't manage to put raddle paint onto the chest of ours... ;D - and he will get straight down (or up) to business. Change raddle colour 2 weeks afterwards, and see if any are repeated on on day 17 or thereabouts.

It is probably best if you get someone to show you how to insert the sponges, especially if you have any first-timers.

In terms of time count back 145 days from you preferred (middle of) lambing date, then add on 14 days. Only problem is if/when he repeats on one or two - but at least you will know what/when to expect lambs.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »
We run a Southdown tup (short legs so can't jump the fence) next to the ewes for a fortnight to get them cycling, then put him in for 19 days.  All ewes are covered in that period and we time lambing around Easter, so that's four days' leave taken care of anyway.  A first-timer with a single may take a couple of days extra, an old girl with twins a couple less.  Lambing is always over in 24 days and most in the first 10.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS