Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hip Replacement  (Read 2827 times)

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Hip Replacement
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:45:48 am »
 :wave: My mother who lives on the farm with us has had a hip replacement yesterday. She is 74 and shares the sheep and poultry with me even worming and dagging etc. She is very keen to be back to normal helping as usual asap - has anyone experience of hip surgery and owning farm animals? Thanks.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Hip Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:06:08 am »
Doug (my mind has gone blank for his forum name at the moment) had a hip replacement fairly recently. Him and his wife have goats, dogs and horses. They are now in the process of moving to France so I think everything must be ok with his hip.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:18:40 pm »
Doug is Tizaala.

My brother had a hip replacement and is a builder. He was off work for a couple of months but he did have an infection in the wound so that slowed things down a bit. A friend also had one done and was riding a bike after a few weeks.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:08:59 pm »
Hip replacement was very successful , 5 days in hospital , out of bed next day, off the strong painkillers within a couple of weeks , getting all the big muscles working again is the hardest bit as they must have damaged a nerve . but I don't need my crutches now and just had an eighteen hour drive from France. It will take a good 12 months to fully functioning again due to my age (68 )  second hip is now playing up and will need doing soon.  don't expect miracles from her. the worst part is low chairs and getting out of them , the hospital will provide a high toilet seat and a chair free.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:41 pm »
Hi  :wave:

My neighbour, nearly 80, had a hip replacement last November and is now back with sheep, 20 odd collies and ponies. Chopping wood and all the rest.

Another lady from a local farming family,in her 60,s, fell and had a replacement last summer. She was back to nightime lambing shift this spring ... over 1,700 ewes. She said it was taking her a bit longer to climb the hurdles around the pens!

I had an accident and broke my hip last November. They managed to pin it and virtually back to normal now. I think they said there was more muscle and nerve damage when pinning and it has taken time for those to recover but keeping my fingers crossed that I don't need a replacement in the near future.

Takes a bit of time as Tizz says but  :fc: she'll be helping you again soon.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:38 pm »
I think one of the key things to good recovery (apart from having good pre-operative health and not smoking - obviously) is having the motivation to get up and going again.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS