Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hoof trimming  (Read 2343 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
hoof trimming
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:25:00 pm »
Hi,
We trimmed our pygmy goats hooves this weekend and it wasn't as scary as I'd thought,  I was really worried about cutting too much and making it bleed but that didn't happen,  big relief.
I have watched some very helpful You Tube videos to learn how to do it but there's one part I'm still unsure about. At the back of the hooves, so the opposite end to the toes, there's a black soft roundy part. It's not the same as hoof material.  Do I cut this?
Thanks very much for any input!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: hoof trimming
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:47 pm »
I would disagree with that- we do trim the soft part as well, to level it off. It doesn't bleed unless you take too much off- just the same as any other part of the hoof.

Beth

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »
Ye we cut it off  too, so all the foot is level  :thumbsup:
Just take care as Shygirl said not to cut too far, you will soon get to know how much to take off. :goat:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I think we'll improve our technique in time but at least we know what to cut.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:18:01 pm »
Yes I trim the soft bit as well. You'll know when you have taken enough as pink will show through. Any more and you will get blood. It's only like taking dead skin off.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »
Get yourself one of those French OPINEL knives, you know the ones with the wooden handle and the collar that locks the blade, they are like razors , carbon steel, they will do the job for you, just take care as they are the sharpest knives you can get.Trim it back till it just shows pink, then spray with footrot spray. they might walk a bit tend for a day or two after but they will be fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS