Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat sits down while being milked  (Read 4243 times)

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
Goat sits down while being milked
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
If it wasn't for our little milking machine I don't know how we would get her milked!
She gets on milking stand puts head through to be secured no problem, then she sits down and we can't get her up,  munching away on her food doesn't bother a bit.

If anyone could see us they would laugh their heads off!

Sits to one side so I can get one teat, then have to fourage around underneath for the other after I have milked one side. if I am really lucky she will change her position so I can get the 2nd more easily.
However we have got it off to a fine art now and from only getting a tiny amount getting a pint each time which I know isn't loads but she is still feeding 2 kids as well so we think it is quite good, and if I was hand milking I wouldn't have any as I wouldn't be able to get a bucket under her!!! Lol.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Goat sits down while being milked
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:40 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim:

When I first started milking Pom and she was struggling a bit, I asked my OH to hold her front leg up so she couldn't kick. Not a good idea as she promptly tried to lie down. I'd forgotten that is what we do when we are trimming her hooves. She is better now though.

Can we see some photos please?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:57 pm »
Ellie used to do this! I put a wide strap under her belly and hoisted her to upright and tied it to an overhead beam, til we broke the habit. I can't remember how long that bit took. I used to have to hobble her too, and she still did handstands. She is a madam! But these days, though she is still an opinionated, bossy (and affectionate) so-and-so, she does stand nicely to be milked  :thumbsup:

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »
Ha photo's! I have 1 hand massaging her udder the other holding the cup in place and OH is pressing button on milking machine while keeping kids from eating my clothes through hurdles  :roflanim: no hands left to take pictures.

She also sits down while trimming feet.  I've got 3 more to get in kid hope they don't sit down too!!

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:40 pm »
We have tried a couple of things but she goes down so quick we can't get anything under her in time.
Just really pleased we are getting milk and as its getting more going to make some ice cream!  I think it will be a while  before I can make butter though Lol.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:41 pm »
Talk about passive resistance!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:21:06 pm »
Not able to offer any useful advice, but it does make me smile....

One of my older GG's has both backlegs in the air if either I try and milk her with both hands at the same time, or even worse -if some one other than me gets hold of her udder... she has tried on occasion to sit down, but I have usually managed to get her back up.

But we do love our caprines!

I wonder if you could possibly break the habit by taking her somewhere else to milk, not on her usual place and get a sling round her belly before she gets there...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »
One of our GGs does lift a back leg and move forward from time to time and you have to be aware that she could do it otherwise she could end up in the Bucket.
She hardly ever does it  with me milking her though  :-\
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
Pom moves a leg around a bit. Always the same leg and I do the same as Graham - make sure I'm ready to move the bucket quickly.

Hoisting sounds like a great idea if you have something like a beam to attach her to. It sounds like quite a performance.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:09 pm »
First things first, as soon as she sits down, take the food away straight away! She's perfectly happy getting all that reward, and leaving you to struggle getting milk. She needs to learn that the food is the reward for standing nicely, not that she will get it regardless of what she does.

I would try and use and folding stool, placed under her belly. Means she won't be able to lie down. Something like this is good- might be cheaper ones somewhere else, I just found the first link I could.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NatureHike-Portable-Lightweight-Fishing-Folding/dp/B00K7ZH6Q4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1409172265&sr=8-6&keywords=folding+portable+stool

Beth

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:48 pm »
We haven't got a beam to do it.  At the minute its working albeit a pain and would be easier if she would stand but she doesn't kick and sits there quite calmly even when she has finished her food. She did squash her teat with her leg as she sat down and as I was kneeling down ready to attach milking machine I got squirted with milk and had to clean glasses while laughing my head off!! 

Although it was better than when we were trimming her feet time before last she went down next to the fence which was fine however the Billy is in the next pen, got excited and peed on us while doing it! Lol its all fun and games here. Mind you I think its the OH as he pees everytime he is anywhere near his pen!!!  :roflanim:

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:46 pm »
Thanks Beth will have a look, I was going to try a beanbag under her so it was soft but OH wouldn't have it.  He made side for milking stand and then drilled a hole through to put a broom handle type of thing in with cover on it but couldn't even get that in quick enough! Of course I just roll about laughing and he is not amused.
She did stand up twice tonight we thought hey we've turned a corner but both times must have been about 30ish seconds only.  Still got a pint though.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
Well progress has been made!! I have milked her twice today and both times she stood up! It was great. :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »
Excellent. Hopefully, now she's discovered it all happens more quickly when she stands up, she'll opt for that way always.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS