Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to get chicks to change sleeping places?  (Read 3113 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
how to get chicks to change sleeping places?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:42 pm »
My broody and her 14 chicks have out grown the eglu they grew up in so I'd like to get them to go into the barn with my flock at night. They free range with the rest of the flock during the day but at night mum still takes them to the broody coop. Today I tried shutting them out of it but I caved when the sun was nearly down and she was still trying to get in so I opened the broody coop to let her in again.

What's the process for getting her to roost elsewhere. When I first got my hens I waited til they went to bed then picked them up and moved them but that isn't really practical when there's mum and 14 chicks!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: how to get chicks to change sleeping places?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »
wait till there asleep then make many journeys!!!

14 chicks well done that broody!!!

oh and then hide/move the eglu so its not there the next day!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:52 pm »

Or once they've gone to bed put them all into a box with a lid and move them to their new place.  I would repeat that several times before moving the eglu completely to make sure they know where to go.  Or you could move the eglu itself into the barn - she'll soon abandon it when it becomes too much of a squash.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:25 am »
How old are the chicks?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:30:16 am »
The evil won't fit through the door of the barn. I wanted to avoid making lots of trips because I didn't want to stress them by taking some away but it might be the only way. They are 7 weeks old.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:21 am »
They are not very old to be in with the older hens and mum probably doesn't think it safe for them. Our broody hens leave their chicks of their own accord and move back in with the older hens when they know its time.
Could you wire off a section of the barn for them and leave them in there for a few days ..... no free ranging? They would then learn that barn was home and return there at night once out and about.

If you just move the eglu I think they will get very confused  ::) and you could lose some. Sometimes my son has moved a coop down our lawn when mowing and hens couldn't find it at bedtime.

If you can't wire an area I think it best to box and carry for several evenings as suggested by FW. They would get it after a week or so.  ;D

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:41:38 am »
Lol, thanks for that  ;D

I could probably enclose a section of the barn but not high enough to stop them hopping over. They already fly up to the perches that my older hens use during the day which are about 5' high. I'll try the box method and see how we get on!

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:08 am »
I just resolved a similar problem ...... I think  :thinking:
We had a couple of Silkies who raised a clutch of eggs together, both sat on the nest and both shared the mothering. They were in a small broody coop and run and I assumed that the birds would just move into the hen house as they usually do when the mothers return there but this lot decided to go 'jungle fowl' and went to sleep in the forest garden. I had the devils own job trying to even find where they were sleeping so I couldn't collect them as they slept. One morning I put a run in front of the hen house and when they went for food I shut them in. They are there now, and will stay there until I'm satisfied they have learned where they live. A couple of weeks should do it I think, but I'll let you know, Silkies are such gritty little things that I wouldn't put it past them to rebel.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:09 am »
maybe move the igloo a metre at a time til they are in the barn.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:53:53 am »
When we swopped our chickens around (barn to shed) I just shut them in for a day with food & water, next day let them out, they returned to their new home no problem the same night. (I'd remove the eglu at the same time)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS