Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I buy a ram?  (Read 4590 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Should I buy a ram?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:07 am »
Thanks Sokel

Shygirl- this sounds like a cunning plan! I assume that a tup lamb could 'do the deed'?

Bionic- thanks for that- I'm in North Yorks, but I think there is a rare breed sale in York in Sept.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »
Or you could just travel up to Northumberland and get a coloured ryeland ram lamb very cheap  :innocent:
Graham

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »
if the ram lamb is a quick maturing breed,  he "should" be able to tup them before early spring. may result in a later lambing but maybe that is ok with you if it solves the problem. no guarantees.
can a neighbouring farmer not help you out?

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:51 pm »
Oh no, I meant for them to be tupped in November, not spring.
The only local Ryelands around here are the ones which have now let me down. I'm annoyed because I knew this could happen with a minority breed and I thought I'd done well finding a ram so local.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:53 pm »
A ram lamb is your best option - do you have to breed pure? If this year you find that you cannot get a tup(lamb) in time why not go to a local farmer and get a texel type tup lamb to do the deed (then sell as soon as all in-lamb) and then sell all the offspring next autumn as fat lambs? I am sure Ryelands will do good sized cross-bred lambs. Then you can decide what to do afterwards.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when I got some Gotland ewes and then found out the only other local breeder had decided to close her flock .... so girl are now routinely cross-bred to a Shetland and produce much better fleeces than Gotlands, really good sized hogs and have (marginally) better feet. I don't want to pure-breed them now anymore!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »
Hmm I guess I could do but this isn't really what I wanted to do.
So I guess I could look for a Ryeland tup lamb (ideally white, but may take you up on the coloured option Sokel!), hope that he'd serve the girls fairly quickly, then sell or eat him?
How long does one usually leave a tup in with the ladies to do the deed?   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »
Do you have anyone with another Down breed - Southdown, Hampshire or Dorset Down?  All Down breeds , including the Ryeland, had a hefty dose of Southdown a couple of centuries ago, and the Southdown itself had a dash of Merino around 1780, which is why the fleece is so fine.  Don't go for a show type, as these have an increasing amount of French Southdown blood, so a much bigger frame (although it's hard to tell how much is the result of large amounts of cake).

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 03:52:07 pm »
My tup lamb was in with my 5 girls for a month. I put raddle paint on him and then changed the colour after 2 weeks.
He was very keen but wasn't sure what he was doing and went for the wrong end the first time  ;D  I saw him attempt a few times but not really get anywhere but he obviously managed when I wasn't looking as they all got pregnant.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:42 pm »
Ooo so this is sounding like an option then!  :thinking:
So now the hunt is on for a tup lamb (wishing my boy had bits now!!).

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »
I used a March born tup lamb (Ryeland cross) last year as I only had 2 ewes for him. I left him in with them for November, changing his raddle paint after 17 days and was able to make a note of when each girl was covered. He got both girls in lamb successfully!

I am unable to keep a ram all year round so this option suits us, we sent him off about a month later and there was no problem with ram taint in the meat at all. Im planning to do the same again this year with the 7 girls Ive got and hope it works as well.

Good luck!  :wave:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »
Thank you all!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS