Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone have a whole lamb minced?  (Read 5026 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Does anyone have a whole lamb minced?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:43 am »
I will be sending a couple off at the end of the month but already have a load of lamb in the freezer. I would make more use of it as mince but just wondered if the abattoir would think I am stupid asking for a whole lamb to be minced.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Does anyone have a whole lamb minced?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:50 am »
Yes they would. Who is paying? If it is you do you care?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:17:54 am »
Could be quite fatty... depending on lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:12 am »
Exactly.  It's your lamb, who cares what anyone else thinks?  I know people who get all their weaners made into sausages, because they are easier to use up and to sell.

The only thing that occurs to me is to make sure that the fatty and lean get well-mixed.  Usually it's not the best, leanest parts that get minced, so the ratio of fat and not-meat to lean meat is quite high.  ;)

If you are wanting alternatives to all mince, but not joints, you could have some leg steaks, loads of chops, and some diced.  (Afelia!   :yum: :yum:)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:22 am »
Exactly.  It's your lamb, who cares what anyone else thinks?  I know people who get all their weaners made into sausages, because they are easier to use up and to sell.

The only thing that occurs to me is to make sure that the fatty and lean get well-mixed.  Usually it's not the best, leanest parts that get minced, so the ratio of fat and not-meat to lean meat is quite high.  ;)

If you are wanting alternatives to all mince, but not joints, you could have some leg steaks, loads of chops, and some diced.  (Afelia!   :yum: :yum: )
I have loads of chops in the freezer now and we will be eating some alter this week. OH tends to be happier with bits of meat he can't recognise though so mince would work well.

thanks everyone

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:16 am »
We are going to be doing exactly that with our two old cull ewes this autumn. We've got enough legs and shoulders in the freezer. Mince means that I can make moussaka, bolognese sauce, sheperd's pie, lasagne, burgers……..
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 am »
 Don't know how much it costs to get the butcher to do it.
I bought an electric mincer secondhand from someone on another forum and it works really well.
I can't post a link to one on ebay for some reason.  They're about £30.  Like the firwst one that came up in the search for meat mincer.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:20:27 am »
so if you had plenty of lamb, which would be the best bits of the lamb to mince if you had the choice?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:39:43 am »
i can see it being something id consider down the line, although the concept of too much lamb in the freezer is hard to get my head around!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 01:03:15 pm »
i can see it being something id consider down the line, although the concept of too much lamb in the freezer is hard to get my head around!!!
Bloomer, thats because you have only just gotten yours. Wait until you start breeding. you will need to do something with them then  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 01:05:38 pm »
so if you had plenty of lamb, which would be the best bits of the lamb to mince if you had the choice?

Generally you want less-than-totally lean for good mince, so neck, shoulder, belly.  But those are all my favourite cuts for long slow pot roasts!  Or, in a Rayburn, just long slow roast!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »
believe me as a family of 6 we'll manage!!!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »
A friend had this done with one of her pigs and a lamb last year
We really do have too much meat in general in our Freezers.
We have gone from one freezer indoors to 1 indoors and 2 massive chest freezers in the Garage.
We have Lamb, goat, pork and Beef in them. We are now on a mission to get some used ready for this years lambs and beef to go in  :-\
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:23:03 pm by sokel »
Graham

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:36 pm »
 :wave: i got it done to an old blackie ewe who was running on 3 legs so couldnt be sold through the ring .came back as mince and burgers(done by puddle dub buffalo) worked well . hell of a fat came out the burgers when cooking but they were a nice change   

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:57:02 am »
I regularly do this for our own consumption. Mince is so versatile in the kitchen and there's no problem with the butcher. It is particularly useful if you have a small lamb for some reason when the joints and chops etc would be tiny.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS