Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep goats or other?  (Read 3642 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
Sheep goats or other?
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:07 am »
We have recently bought a 2.5 acre plot which is attached to our acre (hurray  :excited:). We have been after it for four years or so and for all this time is has been left untouched,  in fact I reckon it's been left untouched for a good time before that too!  Half of it is half a pit, the other half hole is farmed, so it has sides too steep to use a tractor/ride on with but great for walking up.  It is really quite magical in a way, although they is a lot of dead wood, and soft ground where it hasn't been walked on but anything other than foxes or deer.  Scrub is mainly bramble, hawthorn, wild plum and elder.  The bottom of the pit is covered in nettles.  The grass is very tussocky but was cut a month or so ago (just before sale) so soft stuff is coming up now.  My question is....how best to start 'tidying it'.  We will cut the dead wood out but what I envisaged as a starting point was cutting trails through it so we could walk around it comfortably.  But I was really thinking animals to clear nettles and generally graze it.  Oh forgot to mention their are rabbit holes too on the flat bit which we seriously need to fix as they are a hazard.  Do we just fill them in?

Any help and advice gratefully received, as this is a slightly more complicated project than our little acre grassy paddock! Lol

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Sheep goats or other?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:34:57 pm »
Goats should hammer the brambles at least. If you can get something to keep eating the new leaves, eventually the brambles will die off. Pigs on the flat bits? They would fill in any redundant rabbit holes quick smart.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »
Congratulations!  And how exciting!   :excited:

Things that came to mind are:

* Brambles and fleecey sheep are not a good mix ;)

* You'll need to be very sure there's nothing poisonous - rhododendron, for instance - before putting any livestock on.

I'd look to put pigs in, they do a wonderful job in those sorts of circumstances.  And then fill your freezer with yummy bacon and pork  :yum:  - but I have no experience of goats and it sounds like goat heaven to me!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
Re: Sheep, goats or other?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:51:36 pm »
There's def just wild plum, hawthorn, brambles and elder.  Our two goats looked lost bless them and the other disadvantage of goats is that if it rains they don't want to go out!  Like today ;)  The thing with pigs is that I didn't really want the whole lot turned over.  I just thought, although I say 2.5 acres, the sides of the pit slopes probably add another acre on as the area to clear.  Do sheep not like shrubby/scrubby areas?  Are they more open grassland?   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »
* Brambles and fleecey sheep are not a good mix ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »
What about Wiltshires SITN?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:32 pm »
What about Wiltshires SITN?

Well, that's a thought  :thinking:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:50 pm »
I have no idea whatsoever. Just want to say congratulations on your purchase and good luck with whatever you decide to munch on it  :excited: all exciting stuff.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:35:48 pm »
Well, I thought, the thing with pigs is to 'electric fence train' them so you decide where they do their work for you. It does sound like goat heaven too and shouldn't be too difficult to build them a shelter they have access to if the weather doesn't suit. Or maybe a gate into their present field and I presume shelter at the moment. They should love being able to wander at will. In fact how about a goat holiday camp ?  :roflanim:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »
The gate is open and they walk into the new bit then turn round and eat the grass in their old paddock!  I think I need some more goats who are a bit more adventurous  :thinking:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:05 pm »
Having just spent 1/2 hour untangling yet another daft lamb stuck in the bramble trails, I echo SITN's comment.  I'm not talking a bramble patch, just the bits from the hedge that hang over the stock netting ::) .  The sheep spin round and round and get in a horrible mess.  Ok under supervision though :thinking: .  My sheep will not usually eat growing nettles, maybe just the tips, but will clear up any that have been cut.

It sounds a lovely place, enjoy yourselves.

Ooh, and dead wood (standing and fallen) is great for buglife so don't be in a hurry to clear up ;D .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS