Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 3057 times)

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
Vaccinations
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:37:42 pm »
Hi All,

I was wondering what everyone uses to vaccinate their goats, I've had conflicting advice!

Thanks in advance.

AJ

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:39 pm »
Yeh, there's endless discussions about it.

I use HeptavacP because that what I do my sheep/lambs with and I do my goats/kids at the same time.
Never had any problems with the goats - well, you know, not from their vaccs!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »
I have used heptavac but this year used lamivac
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:08 pm »
I use lambivac on my sheep and goats, as goats tend to be poorer at responding to the vaccine, and a really good response to a smaller number of more essential diseases seems like a better idea. They also get a booster every 6 months instead of yearly like the sheep.
Hope that helps

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »
There is a great deal of debate about this. Currently, none of the vaccines are licensed for goats. However Lambivac was licensed for use on goats last year, but the license has run out now. I guess though it has been the most recently licensed product. It is also the vaccine recommended by the British goat veterinary society. It is recommended because it is a 4 in one vaccine, and it is believed this is more easily tolerated by a goats immune system.

Now, I'll tell you what I use  ;) ;D  We use HeptavacP, have done for years. There was a spate of bad reactions about 15 years ago, to Heptavac, but we haven't had anything odd since then. It is an 8 in one vaccine. If you have sheep as well, it is sometimes better to use what you use for them, as one bottle can be used.

I would stress, please, please do choose one and vaccine your animals- the very least we can do for them is protect them against tetanus- and both vaccines do that. Recently heard another vaccine mentioned, not sure if it is a new one or not- can't remember it's name, Ovivac maybe?

Beth

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:17 am »
We also use Heptavac P and haven't had any problems/side effects with it.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:09:03 pm »
I have used lambivac for 28yrs, they have the initial two doses then repeat 6monthly as recommended by the goat vet society. No problems at all, goats do not need  the extra cash her from heptovac because they don't get the things that thy cover. I can understand people using heptovac if they have sheep as well and can use up the vaccine on a couple of goats but in that case ,how often do they give it ??  :thinking:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:29:18 am »
heptavac for us too and no bad reactions  :thumbsup:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:03:33 pm »
Lambivac here.
Graham

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS