Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flamin car  (Read 2635 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
flamin car
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:40:35 pm »
i was hoping my seat alhambra would last another winter so we could save up for a decent 4x4. i got quotes to fix the brakes etc last week but the garage were just saying get shot of it as its not worth it. its a 51 plate.
today the driver door has decided it wont close so the only way to drive to work is to tie it shut :o :o i think this may have happened with the previous owner (iv had it 15mths)  and it cost him £250 to fix, as he gave me the receipts.

has anyone any idea how to solve the problem? it just wont shut, no give at all, just banging straight onto metal. poking it doesnt help ... :'( :'( :'(    id rather it was jammed shut than not shutting at all.

obviously with the door not shut, we'l have flat batteries galore but i have a booster pack for that.

any ideas? except car hunting again...?  :'(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: flamin car
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:44:22 pm »
Disguise the faults as far as possible, take a trade in and buy a dacia on a 5 years plan - i was facing endless bills with my Zafira - had it 3 years and it was one bill after another.  Cut my losses and took teh Logan over 5 years - trade wasn't great but no worse than against any other car.  Dacia's are more or less Renaults
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »
shygirl,

it may be time to start car hunting again. with what you know it cost before to fix the door, and what you have been quoted for the brakes etc  could you not put that towards the next one?   Its a real bummer when it starts costing more than the car is worth.  Been there many times.  OH sold his motor on Gumtree a few months ago.  It had got to the stage where we had to make a decision.   He got it sold within two days and got almost what he asked for it which was a lot more than scrap value so he was happy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:42:35 pm »
So infuriating when you haven't had it long. I agree that it is probably time to cut your losses.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 08:58:43 am »
That sounds unlucky shygirl -  I cant imagine changing a car just for a door lock! 
Is there no chance of getting one at the scrapyard?   or an online dismantler? I would expect the lock from several cars (ie Sharan or Galaxy etc) would fit.

This one on ebay ( not sure if its the correct one) is 14.00 with free delivery.  see item 3307653438.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:03:22 am »
It's a question of whether it's a dud lock, a lock that needs adjusting or movement on the hinges...My car is so old (20yrs) that some of the locks don't work but the catches are fine nd have to be opened from inside through the one lockable door left.

If you have AA or RAC you could try it on with them - since a door that suddenly won't close after you stopped in a handy layby for a cup of tea......

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:51:57 am »
I know it sounds daft but have you tried WD40 in the lock?
I couldn't get the key into the ignition in my Seat as the 'cover wouldn't retract the breakdown man sprayed some WD40 into the lock and  although I was sceptical it worked!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »
I had to get rid of a perfectly good car due to a fault with a fog light.  It stopped the side lights from working and no matter what we did we could not get them all working together = MOT failure.  Brilliant volvo we had owned from new and only 24 years old, no rust and great mechanically.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:20 pm »
I had a car many years ago that not only had to have the front doors tied together, my eldest son had to sit in the passenger seat and hold it in gear while I drove!
I hope you can get it fixed cheaply. Have you tried your local scrap yards for a new door? :fc:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »
it may be something simple…like the screws on the door hinge have come loose

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS