Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 4952 times)

andyin

• Joined Aug 2014
Hi everyone
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »
Hi everybody,
Not quite a smallholder yet but I do have some Blackrock chickens.
And if the wife had her way there would be goats, ducks and elephants too.
I converted a 3m by 4m brick built storeroom into a coop for them with a 7m by 4m run for them to forage in, but they spend most of their time running around the garden.   
We are in a rural area not far from Helensburgh which is in the Argyll / Dunbartonshire border area.
We would like to do more growing but it is a bit tricky as we live on a hillside and most of the garden is really steep but the chickens love it.
We were thinking of expanding our little flock of 7 to perhaps 15 or 16, would it be best to stick to Blackrocks or have a mixed flock
Thanks
Andy

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:55:56 am »
Hello from Moray.

Elephants! - think of the manure, think of the tomatoes...

Re having different chickens - we keep a couple of ISA browns and some more 'interesting' birds - Salmon Faverolles, Partridge Wyandotte and Cream Legbars. They all seem to do well together - if you fancy something different, why not.

Have fun

Regards

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:26:05 am »
Hello from Carnoustie :wave:

If it's egg prodcution you want, stick to the egg laying hybrids ie if you want to make a bit of cash and cover your costs. If that's not so important, get what you like. I loved our Black Orpingtons.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:49 am »
Hello and welcome from Carmarthenshire. I'm not sure that many smallholders have elephants but it would sure be a talking point  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:25 am »
Hi and welcome, I'd forget the elephants if your on a hill.......imagine if one of them tripped at he top. :roflanim:
Anne

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17:42 am »
Hi.

I'd like giraffes so I could feed them from upstairs in my sun room.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:06 pm »
Hi as the crow flies about 25 mls from you , I say mix it up ,my friend has about 20 hens and bantams hardly 2 look alike and 3 cockerals  all criss crossing  , all individuals and new chicks born every year , really cute   , were trying to get old English game blood in  to maybe help the cocks protect against predition

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »
 :wave: and welcome. Goats would be happy on steep land and it's easier to milk them than milk elephants.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:52 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave: I'm  not yet a smallholder but grow fruit, veg and hens for eggs/meat. There is a great mix of people on here with similar interests, you will  fit in well, elephant or not :tired:   :wave:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 05:07:27 pm »
Hello and welcome from Caithness  :wave:  we have 16 laying birds are they are a merry assortment - I have no idea what most of them are and even a chook-wise friend is at a loss to explain some but I love the assortment of eggs they give us and none of our neighbours complains either!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

andyin

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:36:39 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone,
giraffes, nooooooo don't give her ideas
Katrina (the wife!) has been on some battery hen rescue websites for the last few days, with ideas of increasing our flock to 20 ish and ordering yet more chicken wire so i can extend the pen again, not that they will stay in the pen, as she lets them roam around the garden most days.
have avoided the goat situation so far, chickens have kept her distracted, so shhh don't mention goats and maybe she will forget them.
:)
Andy

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »
GOATS GOATS GOATS.
In case you didn't get the idea, I'm a fan of goats. ;D

andyin

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »
lol :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:31 am »
Goats are lovely! you will fall in love with them once your beloved has got her way! I have a neighbour who has a flock of about forty and the dear things are forever escaping. I tell him they can escape onto my land as often as they  like, it will save me having my hedges trimmed ;)
I would love a couple of Anglo Nubians if anyone knows of any for sale.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 06:14:08 pm »
Well put, devonlady. Have you tried Goats for sale and wanted on facebook?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS