Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new owners can't cope!  (Read 4797 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
new owners can't cope!
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:12:05 am »
We rehomed 2 18month old girls last week to a terrific looking farm with horses and sheep and 2 little girls who were silly with animals. They had said they'd had goats before but not for a long time so thought they would be a nice addition to the farm. Well.........

one week on and they now want to rehome them as they can't cope. They keep escaping and were found yesterday after going through 3 gardens in neighbouring properties and the contents of someones polytunnel. They would rather we took them back and are happy to take them back to us or they can try and rehome them elsewhere.

So now I have a quandry (sp?) do I bring them back and try rehoming again, despite the reason we sold them was because we were getting tight for space after a bumper kidding season or do I say no, you bought them you rehome them and just hope they find somewhere nice and fast?  ???
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: new owners can't cope!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:19:04 am »
In your heart I think you already know the answer to this one. Take them back. If they re home them themselves you will never know what happens to them and will always be wondering.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:23:10 am »

Just as Bionic says  :goat: :goat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:26:09 am »
As a responsible goat owner , I'm sure you'll do the right thing   :goat:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
thats is probably very true Bionic and yes I probably will mojocafa

I don't think we can do anything soon anyway as they will still be on 13 day standstill which should end on Friday but thats gives us 5 days to find somewhere more suitable for them without bringing them back up here again. It should be easier to rehome them down there as its farming country but like you say I would want to make sure I knew where they were going, ah I could have done without this after the week I've had with losing Rowan  :'(
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
id take them back, especially if i was breeding and selling and valued my reputation - not because there is anything wrong with the goats, but because often beginner keepers expect a bit of support from the breeder and a good word will bring more custom in the future.
we had to take back some half-finished weaners once as the new owner had died, and the family understandably couldnt deal with them.
whether i would re-imburse them the price they paid? - if they were sick maybe - but if just unwanted then definitely no. offer to take them back for free. then the choice is theirs.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:41:31 am »
ah that sounds good shygirl

We don't breed to sell, the only reason we sold this 2 was that apart from getting tight on space, they were on the fringe of the herd as they are neither mums nor little kids so were being pushed out of the herd by the rest so thought it better to find them a nice new home where they would get lots of attention.
I had hoped that as they were sheep & horse owners they would be up to the job of having 2 little goats but apparently not, I advised them about fencing, shelters, feed, play things etc and have been in regular contact with them, I'm a responsible goat owner and I know the advice I got from other owners when I first started with goats was invaluable so am always happy to impart what knowledge I have with anyone willing to listen  :innocent:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
Can I term it another way?

How would you feel, if they hadn't got in touch with you? If they had tried to rehome them after a week themselves? By advertising them in the local shop?

Beth

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »
I have replied to them and said I will of course have them back but they can't move them til Friday at the earliest.

I know when I got my first goats I hadn't a clue, have sheep etc but never goats so it was a steep learning curve but I never once considered taking them back, I made a committment and did all the things that I needed to, whether it was putting up higher fencing, building field shelters etc. This has just been another learning experience for me aswell as them I suppose

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »
do they want their money back?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »
Feel for you FRH,  :goat: people dont look into things properly before taking on animals.
They have the Aarrr factor and common sense goes out the window

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »
we haven't broached the money issue as yet, haven't had a response to my offer to take them back either  ???

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »
Might be worth a look at their setup in case they are just bored, hungry, inadequate fencing..... If the family are fed up with them that's different. I would take them back but I'd try and resolve the issues first to save that hassle and stress on the goats.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 09:09:12 pm »
I had a look when I dropped them off last week, all seemed fine, they had a little corner of a paddock with lots of forage and trees etc and they built a shelter. I suggested that they might be bored and need stimulation, advised them to look at their fencing around it etc but sounds like they have just given up on the idea  :(

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:28 pm »
Take them back, do not offer them their money back. If you can't find a good forever home and you would worry about them, then do the other !! There are worse things in life is than death  :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS