Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fruit tree accident  (Read 10253 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Fruit tree accident
« on: August 23, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »
I went into my garden centre for some compost so I could sow spring cabbages and winter salads and accidentally bought a Bramley apple tree. The trees were marked as 30% off.

Can I be the only one who accidentally buys trees?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Fruit tree accident
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »
I think that's called a 'senior moment' :roflanim:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »
Oops, an ( apple ) crumbly mind moment  :roflanim:

But did you remember the compost??

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:44:29 pm »
oh well, cant have too many apples can we?
i was chuffed to see our conference pear tree finally fruiting after 7yrs. i never thought it would with us being up north. we bought that from Focus cheap.

my girls went out and stripped my trees of apples today, they just cant comprehend that they are cookers and will grow huge if given the chance. nevermind, it happens every year aswell.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:02:51 am »
Yes, I did remember the compost.  :roflanim:

Not so much of the senior moment, pgkevet.  :P

Actually, I was thinking of my OH and how much he likes apple pie.  :innocent:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:15:37 am »

Did I mention that I once booked an altzheimers awareness course?... and forgot to go... :-[

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:20 am »
You aren't alone - I am a bit of a tree/fruit bush bargain shopper.

I've had a few berries at the end of season prices so tho I paid full for the redcurrants just to get some I won't pay full price for what I already have even one of at home now.  But can't resist a good bargain when passing one.. esp if I have a trolley :o
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one, Ellie. to be fair, I did have a space where a fruit tree I planted a few years ago didn't survive it's first winter, so the space needed filling. And it was on offer. Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them.

Did I mention that I once booked an altzheimers awareness course?... and forgot to go... :-[

:roflanim: :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

I think it's perfectly normal to accidentally buy a fruit tree  :tree:   I accidentally married Mr F  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:03:23 pm »
I just have a 'lidl' look as I go by, and suddenly they are in the trolley :o .  Seems rude to put them back :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:15 pm »
So glad I'm not the only one.  :roflanim:

FW, how did you 'accidentally' marry Mr F? I deliberately married Mr MGM so I have no excuse.  :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:18:09 am »

I hadn't thought I would get married until I was at least 30, too much to do, too much to see, but suddenly there I was at 20 all hooked up and planning a family  :love:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:39:31 am »
Hmmm...Time for one of my rambling true stories:

V was late. We bought the kit. Oh dear!

Ho-hum, we had been together long enough that we were all but married anyway so time to make it legal. I bunked off my housecall list the next morning and went to see the local registrar. Yes, you can blag an appointment by just turning up and being sweetly firm about just needing a quick word.

The good news was that such things as special licences had long been abandoned and one can get married  immediately. "Goody" I said "Book us in for 10.30 am Saturday."

The lady Registrar gave me a look of absolute horror and stuttered all sorts of stuff about how busy she was and, look,  all her forward bookings being filled up for weeks if not months.

I gently took her appointment book from her and had a look. It was filled in fullly with 30 minute slots for a long time ahead.

"I'll tell you what" I said "It really can't take 30 minutes to do a quick wedding. So how about you talk a bit faster and get the 10am mob out by 10.20. I'll make sure my lot are prompt and waiting to race to their seats. You can rattle through the biz at 10.23 and have us out by 10.35 so the next lot can get done by 11?? Pretty please?"

After 'some discussion' of the matter the lady Registrar finally cracked and agreed.

I drove home and told V we were getting married on saturday at 10.23.

"What!" She exclaimed. "I can't possibly be ready by Saturday! There;s rings and dresses and cakes and.."

After 'some discussion' V agreed that Saturday week would be possible. Oddly when I rang the Registrar and asked if she remembered me - well she did. I was very polite when i apologised that this Saturday wasn't suitable any more but definately we could do the same thing on Saturday week.

The Registrar finished choking on something or other and replied weakly "Yes Mr K. 10.23am Saturday week"

(does any wedding ever go off without a hitch? One day I'll tell you about the day itself.)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:12 am »
hitchless wedding here, organised in just over 4 weeks. Term time, worked weekends!  ;)

And yes MGWM - I "accidentally" buy trees and stuff for the garden all the time!
And sometimes animals...
 ;) :D

Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:51 am »

Oh sheep are so often bought accidentally.  In fact we're off to the Lanark rare Breeds sale on Friday.........  Will have to sit on my hands  ;D  :hugsheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS