Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 5 month old kids develop udders  (Read 2575 times)

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
5 month old kids develop udders
« on: August 23, 2014, 07:24:29 pm »
Two of the 8 kids I kept this year have started to develop an udder - actually half an udder (both) and it really has milk in it. Has anyone ever seen this? They were born in March this year, different mothers bur same father.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:35:42 pm by detnol »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 5 month old kids develop udders
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:30:53 pm »
Yep, I have got a BT kid that gives 0.8ltrs twice a week (born 11th March) - and I wouldn't milk her out if didn't have to, but the udder is definitely full and tight. Mine has now gone lop-sided and I only ease her one side out until soft. Other side has gone completely dry/back to what would be expected. She would have more milk if I stripped her out, but I as hoping she would go dry by now...

It is not that common, but does happen.

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »
But why? Genetics? Food? Are they more promising milkers?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »
Milky background, good feeding, hopefully good genetics... a promising milker - I hope so!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:26:21 pm »
It would normally indicate a milky line- I would expect them to be heavy milkers once adults! You will have to watch next year, as it may be worse than this year (unless you are kidding them for next spring).

Beth

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:01:42 pm »
It would normally indicate a milky line- I would expect them to be heavy milkers once adults! You will have to watch next year, as it may be worse than this year (unless you are kidding them for next spring).

Beth
would you not kid them next year? I always do. any reasons not to?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:08:43 pm »
We wait and put our goats into kid when they are 18 months old, so they kid around the time they are 2. Kidding at only 1 year is quite early and can mean they are smaller animals and it may also mean they produce less milk (in that first year anyway, maybe not in years after that).

Our kids are born in March normally, put in kid the following year in October and kid in March 2 years after they are born.

It can be quite normal for a goatling (aged 1-2 years) to start producing milk in the summer, so if they start to develop an udder an only 5 months old, they are even more likely to do it at 15-16 months when the grass is at its peak and daylight longest.

Beth

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:52:14 pm »
Quite often bred from milky parents, I have had several maiden milkers and a male with milk as well. Only milk if absolutely necessary and you may find that she stays lop sided unfortunately. It may pay you to stimulate he other side to try and even her up. As far as kidding kids go, as long as they have sufficient food they grow to their full potential, its a case of being confident enough to do it !! :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS