Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dagging shears  (Read 4439 times)

sam39

• Joined May 2014
dagging shears
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »
Hello all,

I'm wanting to get some dagging shears but unsure what to get. I'm a female with small hands so something light and easy to use would be ideal. I have been looking at burgon & ball 3.5 inch double bow but don't know if they are easy to use for someone inexperienced with shears. There's no selection at local farm supply shop so I'm kind of buying blind and as they're a bit pricey I want them to be right, so any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sam  :sheep: :sheep:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: dagging shears
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »
don't think mine are that make but are double bow 3.5" and I find them good to use for small female getting creaky hands. ;)

I've also got some jakoti hand shears which are brilliant but I wouldn't use them on a wriggly bum way too risky.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:59:45 pm »
Jakoti s brill, n will go through a dag like a knife through butter, unbelievably sharp

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:57:21 pm »
I use YNR Katira Sheep Shears, they aren't cheap but they clean up dags with ease.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »
Jakoti/Katira shears - but be very very careful - they slice through anything :o

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:32:16 pm »
I use Burgon & Ball 3.5" single bow and they are fine to use (I'm female with small hands too).
If you can find a double bow version they will be even easier to use, but I doubt you will find anywhere that stock them.  I always prefer to buy shear from a shop as even the burgon and ball ones vary in quality.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »

sam39

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:39:02 am »
Thanks all, I've just ordered the b&b from fanevalley stores - bargain at £24 with delivery! Liked the look of the jakoti/katiri but they just looked a bit too lethal for my inexperienced hands! Let's just hope the beasties hold still   :fc:  :thumbsup:

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:33 pm »
Are Jakoti ones really that sharp? If so I'm going to order some. I got some Burgon & Ball ones very recently and they are absolutely useless for our sheep. It would be easier to chew it off.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »
 I use both for dagging and hand shearing  the jakoti are  self sharpening and hold their edge well  I just run a flat file over them occasionally  , but I can get my drummer boy shears even sharper BUT I have to keep sharpening them especially if dagging , they loose their edge fairly fast, also I have to check that the blades are cutting along the full length and correct if not .  The jakoti's have only needed the centre rivot tightened a little after  maybe 2yrs

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:29 pm »
Moony when I got them home I tried them out on an old pillow, they chomped through it like it was fresh air lol.  Steady head and still sheep required  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS