Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crossbreeding angus  (Read 3660 times)

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
Crossbreeding angus
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:03 am »
Maiden heifer, which breed l should i use, needs to be easy calving but which breeds cross well with angus. The heifer isn't great, tall and slim end.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Crossbreeding angus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:53 am »
I'd put her to an Angus and keep pure. Tasty meat, should be easy calving and Angus calves sell well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »
Um... why would you be breeding from a not-very-good heifer with a slim back end? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »
Um... why would you be breeding from a not-very-good heifer with a slim back end?
It doesn't cost me anything to keep her, i have no financial input on our farm. I wouldn't get great prices in the mart of course. Should i sell her and put it towards buying a good  cow? or Ai it regardless if its a bad heifer? ( im not the farm owner)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »
Yes I would get rid if she's narrow she may have trouble calving

crimson

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »

I shoudn't have any problems , i would use an easy calving bull.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:35:22 pm »
personally i would try and get a decent heifer to breed from, rather than breeding from something which would pass on poor conformation to the offspring. still costs the same to feed but a better investment maybe.
AA sell well up here, plenty of purebred herds.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:24 am »

I shoudn't have any problems , i would use an easy calving bull.

An 'easy calving bull' isn't a magic wand to overcome a narrow pelvis.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:37 am »
It'll cost you the same to keep this cow, and then to keep her and her calf, as it would a better cow.  And you'll get a lot less for her calf than one from a better cow as it will inherit her poor conformation.

Assuming she's under 30 months at the moment, you'll get more for her in the fat now that you will if you breed her and then decide to send her away.

So yes, I would sell her and buy a good heifer. 

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:00:32 am »
 :wave: if you are going to breed from her herefords a great cross over angus or vice versa. google black baldie . if shse angus out a holestein type or jersey she wont have much of an end on her but pelvis size should be fine  . stick a picture on if u can. solpoll ferrari has good figures for easy calfing . he is a genus bull .
but i agree with previous posts if u think she might have bother then cash her in .also worth remembering she should grow on more while she is in calf .

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:30:58 pm »
Eat it and buy something with good confirmation that's already in calf.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS