Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring lamb  (Read 2746 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Scouring lamb
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:23 pm »
I have a little Suffolk ewe lamb, nearly 5 months old who has been scouring for weeks. I have wormed again to fluke dose, given vecoxin but not sure how long it take for these to work. She is losing weight and I am really worried. She is eating and I am now trying to make sure she gets a bit more hard feed. This was a bottle fed lamb and perhaps I haven't given enough feed? Tried to mix a little pro-rumen in with food but she didn't like it.

What else can I do to firm her up? Used to be able to get kaolin or something but not quite sure.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Scouring lamb
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »
Prob worth asking your vet to take a look. It sounds like she may well have some underlying problem especially if the others are ok. I often run blood tests on these kind, its surprising how many seem to have eg kidney failure when you delve deeper.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:07 am »
Oh no, just had a horrible thought. She's the smallest there as orphaned, maybe she can't reach the water trough. Heading over to check...

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:18 am »
I had a couple of lambs persistently scouring last year and it turned out to be the wet grass. As soon as the weather dried up and they were on something less lush the lambs bums dried up too. Sometimes you just get one or two that thrive better on a less rich feed so that would be worth considering too. Have you tried feeding the lamb hay to see if that helps?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:56:23 am »
No haven't tried that yet. She did have a sip of water when offered yesterday but not that bothered. Ate some hard feed but again not very greedy. Grass doesn't look particularly lush but it is growing and short so may be the cause. Might try some live yogurt. That's worked in past.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:58 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS