Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New wheel choice.  (Read 3604 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
New wheel choice.
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:05:45 pm »
I know everyone has their own view on spinning wheels, but we have just sold our daughters student house, and OH has suggested I might like some of the proceeds for a new spinning wheel! I currently have a 1981 ish Ashford Traditional I bought about two years ago. I like spinning on it, and as a self taught spinner, I have got to grips with scotch tension, and produce yarns I am happy with. I would like to move on a bit, and am favouring a Joy2, although I haven't tried one out yet. Any suggestions, advice etc would be gratefully received!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: New wheel choice.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:40 pm »
I have a Lendrum  :spin: and love it to bits, although at some point I would love to trade up to a Schacht.... in my dreams.

I personally like the modern looking wheels, just fits better into our house (newly built 7 years ago), but also the Lendrum spins fantastic. It takes forever to arrive in this country, made in Canada. You have to google the name of the UK agent, it's name escapes me at the moment.

My OH has just read through the message from standing behind me (I HATE THAT) and asked why would I ((or anybody else) need a 2nd wheel - I can only ever spin on one at a time... MEN just don't understand!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:35:34 pm »
Spinning wheels are like bicycles, you always need one more than you have!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »
I also have a Lendrum, which I love. It spins beautifully, is incredibly versatile as you can buy a fast and a super-fast flyer for it. It's also easy to take to Guild meetings, as it folds into a bag. Not as small as the Joy2 but easier to use as your main wheel.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:01 pm »
2nd hand Lendrums come up very rarely.

Joys and Joy2s do come up 2nd hand.

From which one conclusion you could draw is that most people who get a Lendrum are happy with it and hang onto it. ;)

And/or that Joys/Joy2s are Marmite; people either love 'em or hate 'em.  (I love my Joy.  So easy to take out and about with me.  I don't know that I'd use her much if I didn't go out and about, though.)

If you are in a position to *try* other wheels, I really would *very* strongly urge you to do so before you buy.  Or to buy a popular wheel 2nd hand, so you will be able to sell it again if you don't get on with it.

Try a castle wheel, one that's completely upright and one where the flyer is offset to the side.  Try a large wheel Saxony.  Try double treadle.  Try a lefthanded (flyer on the right) wheel.  Try a modern wheel with ball bearings that don't need oiling.  Try ones where the flyer sticks out into midair, try ones where you can move the flyer into different positions, try double drive...

In other words, work out what you want to *do* and what you *like*, then try a few contenders.

I loved my single treadle Traveller but once I got my lefthanded Traddy I never used the Traveller again, so I sold it. 

I can't spin on a double treadle Traveller for very long, I find the table is in the way of my shins. 

I've spun on a 24" Ashford Elizabeth and I can see why people love their Lizzies.  But for me, it's the Timbertops Leicester.  The friend who bought the Lizzie felt the reverse.

I've spun on a Schacht Reeves 30" and it was effortless, smooth, I span baby camel without realising I was spinning something I'd have said I would find difficult.  But... my yew Leicester makes my heart sing.  :love: :spin:

I span on, intending to buy, a lefthanded yew Timbertops Lonsdale.  Absolutely loved it - but the legs are too short, I couldn't get my foot as far forward as I want to on the treadle.  Apparently later models had longer legs, so I'll have to wait till one of those comes along.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:49:24 pm »

I too started on an Ashford Traditional, but now I only use it with a jumbo kit for thick spinning.

I then bought a Lendrum Saxony - ball bearings, beautifully made, big wheel, trad look, ages to come from Canada.  I love  :love: spinning on it.  The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that it's physically large, with sticky-out legs which are easy to trip over  :o in a small room, and it can't be taken anywhere.  The spinning experience with it is very relaxed and laid back, but progress is rapid.

So now I also have an Ashford Traveller - small, easily moved, fits in the safety belt on the back seat of the car so it can come anywhere, and is comfortable spinning in a variety of chairs.  I also like the way it looks - I'm definitely not into the modern style with slabs of wood, but nor do I like the very fussy looking wheels.

Sally's right - try every wheel you can get near, and take your time making up your mind.  A spinning wheel is a very personal choice; one man's meat is another man's poison  :spin: :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:40:08 am »
I started off with an Ashford Traveler single treadle but struggled with spinning until someone let me try her Joy 2. I found the double treadle so much easier so now I have one and haven't used the Traveler since. I must get round to selling her.

I love the Joy as she is easy to spin on and easy to carry round. I can just put the strap over my head and across my body - useful when you are walking with two sticks, although I wouldn't want to go too far carrying her.

Given the opportunity though, I would try every wheel I could. Is there a spinning group near you where people might let you try their wheels? Or a supplier who would let you try before you buy? What suits one person is not going to suit another and you might not like the Joy 2 when you try one. If you're anywhere near me, you are welcome to come and try mine out.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 07:59:22 am »
Thanks everyone. There are a few local groups near here, in Peter Tavey, Kingsbridge and Exeter, so I think making contact and trying out some different wheels will be the way to go. I am going to the Bristol Wool Fair first weekend in September and hope there may be some wheels there I can try, but looking at the website I am not sure. ( have just discovers how to make the font larger so I can actually see what I am typing!)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »
Good luck with finding the right wheel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS