Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beetroot purée  (Read 3004 times)

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Beetroot purée
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:42:04 pm »
As I had many beetroot and no one else eats them I wanted to find ways if using them in disguised form! There are several recipes on allrecipes.co.uk using puréed beetroot in chocolate cakes. The recipe I used seemed to have a lot if sugar, so I reduced the sugar content a bit, and substituted self raising flour for plain so they rose a bit. I made the mixture into buns rather than a cake, and iced them with melted dark chocolate. They were really good and a hit with my family! In view of the success I cooked the remaining beetroot and have puréed them and frozen in portions for future baking sessions. I might add a bit if chilli next time, and as a cake it would make a good pudding to serve warm with ice cream! So many ways to get one of your five a day!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Beetroot purée
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:34 pm »
Sounds lovely Louise. I recently put 50g of beetroot powder in a chocolate cake. Very nice.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:20:57 am »
I think I'm going to have to grow beetroot next year.  :yum:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
So would you just team the beetroot as per usual, then peel and puree, ready to freeze?

Also I have got white, yellow and the usual purple beetroot... they need to get out of the ground or mice/rats will have a feast...

I was also thinking of just pre-cooking as per usual and then slice/cube and freeze for gratin later on? Anyone done that?

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:46:09 pm »
We have too much too and I made a beetroot puree and added it to some meat juices a splash of port and some red/white current jelly to make a sweet BRIGHT sauce to go with a roast. I plan to make it again  :)
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:33 pm »
That sounds really good , mine might not all end up in chocolate buns. When I was cooking the beetroot I did wonder about using the water for dying wool!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
When I was cooking the beetroot I did wonder about using the water for dying wool!

It I not colourfast and turns brown almost straight away, then fades slowly. It's a nice reddish brown though... but photosensitive. If it would be colourfast it would also be in all the natural dyes books. (I have tried it).

MAK - III like your idea of using it in sauces for roast or similar!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS