Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning wheel advice needed  (Read 6633 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Spinning wheel advice needed
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:48:26 pm »
Hi all,

I am a total novice with a new spinning wheel!  ::)  [size=78%]Have been having great fun just getting the feel of treddling and trying to figure out the technique. However I am now totally stuck.[/size]

Any pointers would be very gratefully received!

My wheel is a double drive with just the one handle to adjust tension.

My problem is that the wool will not take up on the bobbin no matter what I try. I get a lot of twist but the bobbin and flywheel seem to spin at the same speed.

:spin: :dunce: 

I know I have to start somewhere.. But starting to feel like I am missing something!

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Spinning wheel advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:35:03 pm »
Never mind! Problem solved. The flywheel is broken! (Explains a lot)...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »
If you google your local Spinner's guild you will be able to just go and take your wheel and someone there will be able to help you - they are usually a friendly bunch of ladies.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:07 am »
Never mind! Problem solved. The flywheel is broken! (Explains a lot)...

Ah.  Is it repairable?  What make is your wheel  :spin: ?

I find double drive quite difficult to adjust anyway, far more so than Scotch tension which is extremely simple.  My double drive Lendrum Saxony came with no instructions at all, so it took me quite a while to work out how to adjust the tension.  I've got it now  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:43:33 am »
Thanks both. I will get it repaired.. Not a great start but I'm sticking with it! Want to spin my own angora goat wool.

Sadly I have no idea of the make.. It was an eBay purchase and it has no markings on at all. Over on ravelry, the forum members there seem to think it could be an antique but my best guess would be 70's.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:16:30 am »
I tried to learn on an old double-drive, found it very difficult, and nearly gave up. Then I got a scotch tension wheel and never looked back. Now I can spin on a double drive and enjoy it, but it makes a beginner's life very difficult because you can't adjust how fast the wool is pulled onto the wheel compared with how fast you are drafting and putting twist in.

If you can get yourself (beg, borrow, find on eBay, see if your Guild lends them) an Ashford traditional, or other scotch tension wheel - just ATs are popular, and for a reason - that will make your beginning spinner life a lot easier. Better than having an old wheel repaired, for now, IMHO.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:54:18 am »
Yes, you are right. I think I should cut my losses and accept that I should have researched the best wheel type for a novice! Once I've learned on something modern I guess I can always come back to my first old wobbly wheel  :love:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:15:56 am »
That's what I did. And I like that old wobbly wheel, now I can spin!

So - wheel for a novice. Scotch tension is the most critical bit. Ashford traditional are readily available secondhand, you can get parts for them still, people know about them and can fix them easily, they're easy to use. Of course there are others.

Also, probably better to buy from a spinner (so maybe on Ravelry, UK Classifieds) for your first wheel. You'll pay a bit more but you'll know it works, and that therefore anything that's going odd is you and not the wheel, whereas ones on eBay, when you don't know what you're looking for.......unless one of us here, or another spinner, can go with you to suss it out.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:20:09 am by jaykay »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 03:39:32 pm »
We have a guy at our spinning group who only spins his goats hair. He then acid dyes and weaves with it. He has done some lovely stuff.
He is also our saviour if we have a squeaky wheel or want an extra bobbin or niddy noddy as he makes lots of things. He restores wheels to and sells them on eBay.  :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »
So cool.

My dad has had a look and will be able to make me a new flyer for this old stick so that is one problem solved!

I already enjoyed crochet so now I am firmly hooked on wool  :knit: :knit: :sheep:

Will keep at it !

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »
Whereabouts are you? I have an Ashford Traveler that I want to sell.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 12:17:20 am »
Yes, where are you?  I have Ashford Traddies to sell.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 03:05:13 pm »
Worcestershire  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
I'm in Shropshire if you are interested.

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »
I would be but sadly my pocket won't extend any further as I have well overspent this month! If it's ok I will drop you a line when I have some cash and see if you still have a wheel available.

Thank you for the offer, it's very kind of you  :)   :spin:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS