Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig experience so far  (Read 1906 times)

Diesel41

• Joined May 2014
Pig experience so far
« on: August 22, 2014, 02:14:25 pm »
Thought I would  share some experiences as a rookie pig keeper, maybe they will help others and give some a laugh!
1 we have 4 Pietrain x Oxford Sandy Blacks and 2 GOS piglets, the OSB are 8 weeks old and the GOS are 6 weeks.
2 we are keeping the GOS for breeding and the others for our freezer.  Looks like we'll be eating pork for a while.
3 pigs are escape artists. Generally they just go to our acre of woodland and snuffle about. But, I have had to pay my neighbour for the two bags of rabbit food they noshed when the got out whilst I was At a show 20 miles away! From knocking down barriers to squeezing through stock fencing, the buggers are better than any POW from Colditz. They haven't yet constructed a glider, but I expect it soon.
4 pigs are full of character. From using you as a scratching post, to following you around like a dog, hey are loveable. My wife has gone from them just being meat to loving them. I will have to kidnap them to get them slaughtered.
5 They think my Labrador is their mum. Watching a piglet trying to suckle from my dog had me in stitches.
6 they smell of bacon
7 my horse loves their feed- keep feeding troughs away from the fence if horses are about and you want them to grow
8 pigs are fast and strong. Even trying to catch one in our stable with door closed was a two man job and their squeals are deafening! 
9 I love my pigs

Hope this was helpful, or at least gave you a laugh.
My first time experiences with sheep will go in the relevant thread, when I have recovered from chasing the pigs!
;)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pig experience so far
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:37:45 pm »
electric fencing is the answer !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS