Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary pig fencing  (Read 1798 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Temporary pig fencing
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:51:35 pm »
I have to move my pigs for a few weeks until ready for slaughter. Before I go having to buy wooden stakes, does anyone have experience of using the plastic horse stakes? Also, I could leave them to roam with the ponies in the whole acre but I'm guessing they are going to root everywhere but where I want, like fences, shelters etc?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Temporary pig fencing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »
If they're used to electric fencing you might be lucky enough to get away with plastic stakes - depends how much luck you think you've got.  I do not know much about ponies, but I do know quite a lot about pigs and I don't believe they would co-exist very happily and any grass in the field would undoubtedly be trashed in a very short period of time.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »
I have successfully used a mixture of both. Wooden posts at the corners and plastic posts in between. Make sure the wire is well tensioned otherwise the pigs will push through.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:02:08 pm »
I use wooden posts at the corners and plastic in between for an area about 1/4 acre and have had no escapes so far.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:46:29 am »
Plastic stakes can work - just make sure that the wire doesn't get earthed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS