Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Diahorea in lambs help needed!  (Read 2303 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Diahorea in lambs help needed!
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:05 pm »
Just checked my sheep (got a small herd of herbredians and first year with them!) and the youngest lamb has a very pooy bottom, she was fine this morning and eating well and looks as bright as usual ... Do i need to worry ... Do i need to wash her bottom ??? Also one of my gimmers developed a really bad limp last night, checked her foot and it was fine but her hock was really warm,,, do i need to worry/ do anything or best to leave alone? Again eating fine and looks bright ... Thanks  ???
Red

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Diahorea in lambs help needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:58:05 pm »
Have you wormed the lambs at all?  Might be an idea to do so, if not?  Have they been eating anything unusual?  Has the grazing been unusually wet?   Limp - always feel both legs/joints or whatever so you have a "good" one to compare to.  If it's still hot in comparison might be worth having a word with your vet.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:23:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice and no not wormed them as yet as hoping to move them onto new fresh grazing this weekend so was hoping to be chemical free but will take your advice. The field they are in is very wet but they have a wooded area they like to hide in, ive been putting fresh straw over the mood near their water ... I compared her bad leg to her good and it was noticbly warm ... Will speak tothe vet if still not good tomorrow ... Thanks again
Red

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »
They have to wormed, a multi fit drench too would be a good idea. If its wet give em a fluckicide and wormer, maybe bring em in til they dry up some x

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:04:42 pm »
Thanks Hellybee, just come back from the field and both seem to be perky, but the rain has started again so will get them all dry and wormed tomorrow xx
Red

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:22:16 pm »
If you were hoping not to use chemicals , then take a fresh sample of the scouring lamb to the vets for a feacal egg count before you worm. It would be worth taking several samples from the rest for them to mix test at the vets for a good overall picture of the remaining flock, again before you worm, then take the vets advice. :huff:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »
When I said dry up, I meant the squits ;) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS