Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent help - egg pecked on hatching chick, what to do  (Read 4595 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Urgent help - egg pecked on hatching chick, what to do
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »
I've just come home to find an egg due to hatch has been pecked with about half the shell off but membrane intact. Chick is alive inside and I have peeled a tiny bit of membrane away to check it. I have now put in incubator rather than leaving with mum.

I'm worried because not sure if it still has a chance to hatch or if it will dry in the incubator and die. I have one chick hatched from incubator under a lamp and another two eggs due. But not yet chipped. I can hear a faint cheep but don't know which of the 3 it is!

What should I do? Not sure that all yolk sac has been absorbed as a bit yellow and fluidy at one end. There is some slightly yellow/clear liquid dripping from that end.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Urgent help - egg pecked on hatching chick, what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:32 pm »
If it's in an incubator the membrane will probably dry out and it won't be able to get out anyway.  If you leave it in the hope it'll absorb the yolk it may get too tired to get out.  Either way it's not too promising.  I'd be inclined to leave it for a while, keep a close eye on it and, if the membrane starts to dry out, help it out.  Is there water in the incubator?

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »
help it out.  I reckon that is the only chance it has of survival.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »
While incubating duck eggs this year I accidentally hit one with the lid when I was putting it back, it chipped a big hole in the egg, this was about 4 days before they were due to hatch. The membrane was intact so I just left it. It pipped at the other end of the egg and I just kept wetting my finger and wiping the exposed membrane when it looked dry (brown). The chick was fine, that bit of the membrane got a bit stuck to the chick but nothing a wet finger rubbed gently wouldn't shift. I would just keep an eye on it.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:42:46 pm »
Thanks all, there is water in the incubator. I have an hour before going back to work so will keep a close eye on it. I thought with humidity it might be more moist in there so trying not to disturb the kid too much.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »
I'd dampen the membrane slightly and keep in incubator, had a couple of ducklings hatch this year too early and they hadn't absorbed the yolk it's super important that they stay in the shell until it's all gone so keep it propped upright in a cup or similar so it doesn't fall out of the shell.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Snap!
I had a hen sitting, but had a feeling others were adding eggs after she started to sit. Didn't have time to separate her out till a few days ago. Today She's got four chicks, and a heap of stone cold, abandoned eggs... And one had stated to hatch. I picked it up, pulled bit of chipped shell away, and could see it just about breathing!, so it's in incubator. Highly doubt it will live but who knows.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:05:16 pm »
Sadly it was alive but died at tea time. I think it needed another day. Got two live chicks so far and one egg still cheeping in the incubator but no sign of it chipping yet. So hard not to touch! I have dampened shell as it's a maran egg

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:47:50 pm »
Oh no, scotsgirl.
It's always horrible to lose a chick so late!  I'd love to hear how the rest do...
Lynn

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 08:21:14 am »
  :-[ it's such a shame.
 Mine didn't make it either, guess I did the wrong thing- it did well in the incubator, was cheating away and almost hatched by evening time, so I took it and it's egg and popped it back under mum. Squashed flat by next morning. Quite cross with myself. Now have a mum with four chicks in the greenhouse. But these seem happy so far.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS