Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese for protection  (Read 4833 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Geese for protection
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »
Yep, I wouldn't get geese just to keep off foxes because I don't think it would work. If you want geese, go for it just because you want them - they're good lawnmowers for a start which makes them cheaper to keep. They do only lay about 30 eggs a year so you're not going to make a lot of money from eggs but if you get a rare breed and are happy to breed them, you might just cover their food costs (I've hatched 9 nine this year, keeping 2 of those, selling four or five at £50 a piece and two that I won't sell for breeding so they'll be cheaper, oh and buying another one - so I'll make triple figures but the food and bedding will have cost about the same).

Enjoy your new life and focus on what you like doing, then work out how you can make money from that! I'm trying all sorts at the moment but starting to focus on what pays (and I don't think it's poultry - so they're just for fun!).
H

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:47:29 pm »
what about guinea fowl?

We got 6 keets a few weeks ago in a pen at the minute till fully grown but got them as guards for their noise etc.
When large enough will be free range and should roost up in trees at night so could get away from a fox if needed, they make lots of noise, bigger than hens, although have also been known to take on a fox!
You can also eat them, sell eggs (fertile and for eating) breed and sell young keets etc.
They are also supposed to be good on veg patch as don't scratch about as much as a hen and eat all the pests/insects/tics and don't bother with your crops.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 08:35:40 am »
All of these replies are very interesting and helpful.
I've decided against geese, as the only reason for getting them was to keep foxes away and obviously that makes no sense. I did say it might be a stupid question!
Clansman, the Rhea suggestion is interesting although I find them quite intimidating, I'm 5ft 0 and that's why I've gone for the little Ouessants and pygmy goats so far!
HesterF - I think you're spot on, we need to see what we like doing and then work from there, rather than trying to do something we know nothing about just because it might make money.
Thanks!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS