Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb not well advice please - Updated Midnight  (Read 5594 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Lamb not well advice please - Updated Midnight
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:02 pm »
Hi folks - I have a ewe lamb when I was up this evening to do my check everyone came running but she stayed up at the top of the field (Bad sign 1) herded her down to all the other ewes and lambs but I could almost catch her and she's 4 months old (bad sign 2) she's grinding her teeth (bad sign 3) she has had both doses of lambivac and ovipast, does had a wee bit of scour so wormed with injectable ivomec - any insight - I don't have any pain killer here but I do have ab's - I just don't know what wrong, she seems unhappy and subdued - I have her penned with a pall who seems to think hay is great.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:41:38 am by Brucklay »
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Lamb not well advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »
Have you checked her fleece thoroughly for flystrike?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:06 pm »
I have but will go and double check as we had our first case this year so ......
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »
Checked really closely and no fly strike - I hope she sleeps and I'll get her to vet first thing in the morning - gave lamb drench just to give wee bit of energy didn't think it could do any harm.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:50 pm »
Sounds like colic. Either abdominal pain eg from flush of grass or twisted gut.  Painkillers ideally plus probiotics. Occasionally pasturellosis can present like that too so antibiotics tonight until you can get your vet tomorrow.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:04:40 pm »
Thank you farmvet will give her a dose now

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Lamb not well advice please - Updated Midnight
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:45:52 am »
Went up to do AB's and her buddy was sleeping and she was nibbling hard feed  :thumbsup:  did her injection and she then turned and started nibbling the straw bedding - yes hay was available but bedding seems to be best - I don't think I've over reacted as I did see several not good signs but hopefully maybe she had possibly got an upset from some small ragwart shoots? Even trying hard I'm sure there is a bit about - possible?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:29:31 am »
Did you check her temperature?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:56 am »
Good point Foobar - I should have done. We've not rushed off to the vets this morning as she had done a 180 turn around - bright, alert, eating feed and chewing the cud. I am going to keep her in with her pall for a couple of days though so I can easily monitor.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:43 am »
Good-o :).  Like you say maybe she just had something that didn't agree with her.  Keep an eye on her poo and make sure it returns to normal.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »
I'm leaning towards the overly wet grass we've had for the last 2 weeks - well I hoping it's that as I can bring them in and feed hay no problem - still happy and munching  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:35:25 pm »
sounds like just a 'blip' then. :fc:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:13 pm »
Phew! Glad it looks like all is well. Just shows that even the most experienced sheep keeper can get caught out! Hope you can relax with a glass of something now.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 11:53:51 am »
Not a 10th as experienced as some on here - but my only saving grace is I observe a LOT - BH may say to obsession, I think just enough!!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:06 pm »
I used to keep hay out all year as we get a lot of rain here in Wales, and that worked well to compensate for the wet grass and keep bums clean.  Trouble is my ram lambs decided to start breaking off their horns on the hay rack, so I've had to ditch that idea! :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS