Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's back  (Read 2821 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
It's back
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:39 pm »
Hi
  I have just gone down to check my sheep and have found that one of the commercial lambs have foot rot  :'( :'( :'(and am new with how to deal with it as vet did it last time. I know it's foot rot because it looks like it and when I turned the foot up I almost vomited as it was producing the most horrific smell I have ever smelt. Please can you guys help I don't know what to do and don't want to give the vet another £80 for 20 mins of his time.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: It's back
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »
Injectable antibiotics, alamycin (or equivalent tetracycline) or tylan.
Spray with tetracycliine spray, known as blue spray or alamycin spray.
Give it a couple days until less lame and trim away only any loose hoof.
This may or may not be the same as your vets approach, but is the currently accepted best practice for footrot. Heavy trimming early on can actually make healing slower.
hope that helps   

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
Thanks that helps so far have sprayed with blue spray

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »

We are great believers in Golden Hoof, which is a foot dip and I think is available from your agri store.  We would dip every day for such a bad hoof if we had one, until it started to improve, plus antibiotic injection as stated above.  Unless the hoof was in a terrible state we would wait to trim until it was starting to heal.  To dip the foot we use a tin with some of the diluted mix in (currently a beer kit tin), sit the sheep on it's behind and hold the front foot in the tin for 2 mins.  For a back foot, stick the sheep's head into a corner so it can't move, then stand the foot in the mix the same way.  It really does work.

Incidentally the sniff test is quite good.  Having smelt the smell of such a bad one, you will now recognise even a slight whiff, before things have gone bad.  Mr F is frequently to be seen sniffing sheep feet  :roflanim:

There is a case to be made for bringing the affected sheep indoors onto a concrete floor (with a lucky companion too)   This way you keep the foot dry, and the animal isn't further contaminating your pasture.  Once the foot is sorted out you can clear up the bedding and burn it, then disinfect the floor.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:50 pm »
Golden hoof worked well for me this year.  Soaked them all for 10-15 mins then moved them to clean pasture.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 08:05:58 pm »
Thanks for all your help. Ended up injecting it with alamycin and put carrs bilington hoof paste on it after putting the foot in warm water for a few minutes and that seems to have done the trick.

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:02 pm »
I use Terramycin Spray and inject with Tetrox - one dose then another 3 days later and a third if needed. Its this flaming muggy weather - watch it for Fly Strike.

mcd

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »
Which is more effective, alamycin or oxytetrin injection?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS