Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: They went on their way this morning - price update  (Read 3520 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
They went on their way this morning - price update
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:32 am »
My favourite ewe (who keeps prolapsing) and her small friend (never grew as she should) went to the cull market this morning.
I sat with them in the field last night and told them to look after each other and gave them a kiss.
OH took them off this morning and saw them into their pen but never hung around after that.
I have absolutely no idea how much I will get for them so will need to wait until the cheque arrives.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:40:58 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: They went on their way this morning
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:15 pm »
From experience it probably won't be much but every little helps when the feed bills come in! Well done for sending them, the first time is always the worst. :thumbsup:
Anne

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »
 :raining: sorry to hear that. I sent my first lambs of the season off yesterday, always a bit sad and subdued afterwards. Was quite an emotional morning as our neighbour also sent her first 2 Shetland wethers off, her first sheep so had to sort that out too as she couldn't bring herself to unload them into the abattoir. Sad that we can't keep out favourites but prolapsing can't be much fun for them so you've definitely done the kindest thing possible  :)

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 12:47:09 pm »
Cull Ewes were very much in demand at Newcastle Emlyn and Llanybydder in the past week. Fingers Crossed  :fc:
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:29:53 pm »
 :hug:

It was the right thing to do, but that doesn't make it easy.  I'm not sure that sending off a favourite ewe *does* get easier.  It's a bit different with lambs - we are, as you say twiz, often a bit subdued after the first batch of the season goes, but with fat lambs you always knew that was their destiny.  With breeding stock it's harder, no question about it.

I've decided not to tup two of mine, which was hard enough to do.  The next bit's harder. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:08:40 pm »
I know the feeling with breeding stock too- OH has a beef herd so the decision is normally made a couple of times a year normally to market but sometimes straight to abattoir. The last cow to go was a personal favourite of mine but again she kept prolapsing so that was the decision made. I think whether it's fat lambs or breeding stock the decision to send is always met with the same feelings, just under different circumstances- sealing their fate. I suppose my lambs are slightly different to normal lambs as they are all tame lambs that I've reared myself. There was one lamb that I sent yesterday that was probably too good to kill and I should have kept her for breeding and I did look at her the night before and nearly change my mind but unfortunately no point keeping 1 or 2 back. :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:11:08 pm by twizzel »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:25 am »
 :hug:  :bouquet:
Prolapsed aren't nice so you have made a very responsible decision. It was better for her and having a flock companion would be comfort to them both :hug:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: They went on their way this morning - price update
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
The cheque arrived this morning. The small ewe, and she was very small for a Coloured Ryeland, only made £15 but my favourite Polly made £46.
I don't know if this is good or bad but I am quite happy  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:15 pm »
My Texel and Texel cross cull ewes make £65 on average on Monday, casdt ram made 67 and go it me a mention on the auction website. Got casdh to buy some pure texels now!!
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 07:19:28 pm »
always so sad and my heart goes out to you but you definitely did the right thing  :hug: We've got 4 ram lambs going to market on Tuesday for the first time. They usually go straight to slaughter from here. I'm absolutely dreading it but the other 4 are going straight to slaughter and will go in our freezer which I'm happier with. We sent a cull Coloured Ryeland ram to market a few weeks back and he made £80 which I was happy with (as best you can be in these circumstances).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS