Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bye piggies  (Read 2856 times)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Bye piggies
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:46 am »
Well these will be the first animals born to us that go off down the road, and it's a little bit  :'(
Made slightly better by also getting rid of their mother who was always a grumpy sow.
 :bouquet: :bouquet: :pig: :pig: :pig:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Bye piggies
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:56 am »
Are they going to a new home or will they returning in a different form?  :innocent:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:11:16 am »
Ah, they have had a good life, never easy.  :pig: Still miss mine

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:14:44 pm »
We have sent quite a few  :pig: to new homes as pets or potential meat weaners (none of whom have made it to abattoir!)
These will be our first homebred pigs to come back as sausages/barbecue pig
Still feels harder than home slaughtering our first  :sheep: who we got at 3 days old.
Maybe  :pig: just get under the skin more!

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »
We have sent quite a few  :pig: to new homes as pets or potential meat weaners (none of whom have made it to abattoir!)
These will be our first homebred pigs to come back as sausages/barbecue pig
Still feels harder than home slaughtering our first  :sheep: who we got at 3 days old.
Maybe  :pig: just get under the skin more!

Sent some of ours this morning so sympathise entirely! Sent my little berkshire who I hand raised  :'(

All be worth it on Sunday morning at breakfast time  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »
 :hug:  Yes they do.  :hugpig:

Thankfully, by the time they've been hung and butchered, you've had a bit of time to adjust.  And usually the first mouthful helps ;)  :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:19:35 pm »
 :hug: You'll be fine and they'll be tasty  ;)
It's the hardest part of the process for me too, but it's the one part that has to happen if I'm going to breed more pigs - you can't keep them all  :-\
Good luck and think what lucky pigs they were to live with you  :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:53 am »
 :hug: they had a good life with you, still not easy  :bouquet:

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:07 pm »
you should be proud of what you have raised.

I find people turn their nose up at me and call me cruel for rearing my pigs......Then the same people go home and eat intensive reared pork from a pig that probably hasnt seen daylight, was pumped full of water and killed at 12 weeks!!!

Be proud, eat well and get some more

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »
Our first weaners went today which was hard but a really big day and felt like a real achievement even if we didn't  raise them from the very beginning. Know it would be even harder if we had but know that the first ducks we took from egg to table was the best I had ever eaten so expecting the same from these! :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS