Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pesky Foxes....  (Read 43722 times)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Pesky Foxes....
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:29 am »
This past few years we've had an increasing problem with the number of foxes about. I can look out the kitchen window any time of day and see at least 2-3 on our land, and as many as six at any point in the evening.

Last year one got into the chicken hut and had a mass massacre of 20 birds (didn't even eat one!). Oddly enough it didn't touch any of the ducks which were also in the hut that night- must have picky tastes!

I've also had to bash one around the yard with a rake to try retrieve a chicken from its mouth, and it didn't let go without a five minute fight!

Last week I caught one in the field with two of my boars- Mr Foxes outcome wasn't great.

Getting to the point that I'm now struggling to sleep as the dogs are going bananas all hours of the night when the fox sits under the windows howling  >:( The dogs do keep them away to a certain degree, but I'm having to bring them in at night as someone local complained when they're barking at the foxes.

The neighbour across the road puts out pies and chicken breasts to feed them, even still does it after I turned up on her doorstep with a sack of dead chickens and told her what she's causing. (Nightmare neighbour from hell- want to try avoiding her if at all possible).

Is anyone else experiencing a HUGE increase in the number of them? Also, is it just Yorkshire foxes, or are they all getting unbelievably brazen? And how are people dealing with them?

Can anyone clarify the legalities on getting rid of them? We've had a few attempts at a variety of methods that I won't detail incase its considered naughty  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pesky Foxes....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:24:54 am »
Will the council pest control officer not help if you explain this neighbour is feeding them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:29 am »
Will the council pest control officer not help if you explain this neighbour is feeding them?

The council say they don't approve of 'lethal control' of foxes and can only recommend we buy 'liquid deterrents' which we can't do because we have four dogs, all of which are working dogs and need to be able to access the land :(
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:46 am »
You can legally kill them on your own land by either shooting, or trapping them. No doubt there is someone in your local area who would oblige. . . . if you were local to me i'd jump at the chance. Most likely it's a litter of this years cubs.

P.S - Your local council sound like morons.

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:19 am »

You can legally kill them on your own land by either shooting, or trapping them. No doubt there is someone in your local area who would oblige. . . . if you were local to me i'd jump at the chance. Most likely it's a litter of this years cubs.

P.S - Your local council sound like morons.

We've had a go at shooting them before but it seems that as soon as you get rid of one, they bring another vixen in to make their numbers up. Also have to tread very carefully because above mentioned neighbour would have a heart attack if she knew and make life awkward. I'm looking for more of a longer term deterrent- if such exists?

I don't dare leave the dogs out at night now, as I read that if more than one dog is seen chasing a fox then it's classed as hunting and you can be prosecuted- does anyone know if this is true? I don't want the dogs to maim anything, I just think they'd be our best shot at putting the foxes off coming on the land

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »
Under the Hunting Act, to purposefully hunt a fox with more than two dogs, is illegal. But it is extremely unlikely you would get prosecuted if they chased a fox in your own garden. . . . accidents happen!

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »
Under the Hunting Act, to purposefully hunt a fox with more than two dogs, is illegal. But it is extremely unlikely you would get prosecuted if they chased a fox in your own garden. . . . accidents happen!

I shall let the dogs out for their nighttime toilet then :innocent:

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
I shall let the dogs out for their nighttime toilet then :innocent:
Yep, just like we do around here. Coincidentally, as do one or two others around the same time! :innocent:

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 07:40:14 pm »
Being as they are semi-tame a fox trap with aforementioned chicken breast would work well. A silenced .410 out the bathroom window could work wonders without endangering or disturbing those of an excitable disposition nearby.
If the dogs were to catch one - as unfortunate and regrettable a situation as that would be it would either escape to kill another chicken another day or end up very, very dead. Maiming is less likely with dogs than gun IMO. Good luck with your pests (2 and 4 legged)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:42:26 am »
I would be inclined to shoot my neighbour!! (only joking ;D) My DIL is desperate because her neighbour puts out food for RATS!!! She thinks they're sweet ::)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 07:00:31 pm »
Savoury.

WHAT!? Can't "Like" my own posts? Disgusting!  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:08:19 pm by Me »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 01:13:12 am »
Look on line for pigeon shooter clubs/ websites or perhaps go to the local feed merchants and see about leaving a shooting opportunity card on their files.
The other place of course is the registered firearms dealer /gun shop or cartridge supplier they often display such card as yours. inside the shop.

You're likely to have to sign up to a website group but if the land is permissible for fox extermination you may have several folk with an open ticket & a sound moderated rifle only to happy to come and see you to take the numbers down.

You could also  try and contact some local farmers rather than small holders ,  for most farmers will know of shooters if they have sheep & game birds .
 Even a decent butcher with a good game section might know of shooters who would do it for just the fuel & ammo costs.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:07:13 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:49:45 pm »
We have a problem fox around at the moment. It came in the middle of the day and killed two of my three geese, and has taken seven of a neighbours chickens in the day, along with other poultry around the valley. He is an old, grey muzzled dog fox, and has been seen by a couple of people. I assume he has been pushed out of his area and has moved into ours recently. I'm gutted that our geese were the first attack, if we'd had warning they would have been under lock and key all day. But now we must hunt him down, as until then nothing can free range around the area. He's wise to the lamp, but the traps are out and there are a few likely spots of woodland to check with the dogs. Sooner or later he'll get caught out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS