Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pesky Foxes....  (Read 43723 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Pesky Foxes....
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:58 am »
Losses to badgers are under rated in general I feel

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2015, 11:24:20 am »

he reckons lambs sleeping/born by a fence line are particularly at risk from badgers.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2015, 12:46:28 pm »

he reckons lambs sleeping/born by a fence line are particularly at risk from badgers.
Any newborn lamb in a field wherever it is born is at risk from both foxes, unruly dogs and indeed badgers. I lamb outside but never seem to have problems, apart from the odd ewe needing assistance.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »
Badgers are a bigger problem here to be honest. A strong ewe stands half a chance of driving a fox off, a badger on the other hand shows no fear. Also helps that we can wipe the foxes out of the area pre-lambing, whereas the badgers are somehow 'special'. Foxes tend to eat the head, badgers crunch the chest and guts out. We need a good, hard cull on them around here!!!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2016, 06:39:50 pm »
Wow - old post but only just read it. Crikey!
An update from the original poster would be interesting - if they ever read this, please update!!!!!

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:46 am »
I've just spent 3 nights sat in the garden with the g*n getting the b*stards - they managed to take a 3 week old lamb on Friday night  >:( >:( >:(

Deliberately kept the sheep in for a couple of weeks knowing the fox would have a pop but was convinced they wouldn't manage a 3 week old! Even blobbed them all with Stockholm in the hope it would discourage them.

Found the poor sods remains hanging out of the fox's den. Also managed to find a badgers hole for the first time since we've been here, and we have TB testing next month  ::) *sigh*

Next job is to shoot the neighbour who keeps feeding them and bringing them around here!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:35:22 am by SophieYorkshire »

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:52 am »
Weve had 3 foxes in a week.  I noticed one walking across the neighbours land around 8.30am so phoned my shooting boys who are pretty good and managed to call him - bang!  Same night had another and caught one in fox trap (dead lamb as bait) another bang.  Last year we lost every lamb bar 2 it was the worst lambing ever.  As townies cant understand we cant support the fox population they have to be controlled and seeing we do pasture eggs I cannot afford to have a fox anywhere near my hens.

As for badgers that another thing that we cant discuss on here!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2016, 03:17:33 pm »
Met my local fox this past week ... last Sunday morning coming back from walking the dog, down the road to my house, there he was in the middle of the road at 10am.  And again this morning at 7:30am in my next door neighbours garden.  Bold as brass.  Hmm....he's done no harm to my chickens so far which are out all day, so will live and let live until he does something wrong :).  There are plenty of easy pickings from the town bins etc so suspect this guy is a bit lazy, in which case it's better to keep him alive rather than shoot him and he then to be replaced by another who may not be quite so lazy!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »
Next job is to shoot the neighbour who keeps feeding them and bringing them around here!!!
Could you point out, very helpfully, that a couple of years ago a lady in Cornwall + her daughter + the family cat caught TB from the badgers she fed on her lawn every night....?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
It wouldn't help the any case am afraid, no one who protects those creatures has the sense to do the right thing; the right thing would be to control them. TB will always be around to some degree, like mixi in rabbits, but you can control the level of it by keeping the badger population down. Did you also know that they can pass it onto hedgehogs too and decimate them? Hedgehogs are rare, but nobody sadly cares for them. This world is in a mess, especially this country, they think it is ok to keep sick animals and yet they're slaughtering out healthy cows and for what, a few over sized vermin? Now that is animal cruelty! :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 09:48:27 am »
Could you point out, very helpfully, that a couple of years ago a lady in Cornwall + her daughter + the family cat caught TB from the badgers she fed on her lawn every night....?

Utterly pointless - she's a nightmare. Told me last week that the moles must have come up and strolled across her new tarmac drive to get into her garden  ::) She's a retired biology teacher - wonder how far her students ever got with careers in biology!

I took the 28 hens the fox decimated last year and left them on her doorstep to try and get the point across but it did nothing sadly.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 12:05:01 pm »
Told me last week that the moles must have come up and strolled across her new tarmac drive to get into her garden

Actually I believe male moles do leave their tunnels at mating time and go overland searching for new female-containing tunnels. Unlikely in this case though.

A friend of ours once rescued a mole from their cat and put it under an upturned bucket on their lawn whilst they googled what to do next.  Funnily enough, it wasn't there half an hour later!  ;D

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 01:34:24 pm »

.....Funnily enough, it wasn't there half an hour later!  ;D
ha ha - laughed long and hard about that one.   

Hey, where did that mole go - I am sure it was under this bucket.  :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS