Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pesky Foxes....  (Read 43888 times)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Pesky Foxes....
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »
if you go on a site called pigeon watch, there will be plenty of good shooters who would love to help you, and it wouldn't cost you a bean

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:42 pm »
Yep, just like we do around here. Coincidentally, as do one or two others around the same time! :innocent:

Excellent photo!

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:43 pm »

The neighbour across the road puts out pies and chicken breasts to feed them, even still does it after I turned up on her doorstep with a sack of dead chickens and told her what she's causing. (Nightmare neighbour from hell- want to try avoiding her if at all possible).

It's a shame you can't poison the food she puts out.  That way she pays for the bait, thinks it's either not encouraging them to return or that she's killing them herself and thus changes her behaviour.

Had a fox around here taking turkey poults, a hen and a goose.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:39:38 am »
Get someone with a silenced .22 to shoot them. Your neighbour will never know. I'm on PigeonWatch, can put a call out for you if you wish
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 01:37:02 pm »
Get someone with a silenced .22 to shoot them. Your neighbour will never know. I'm on PigeonWatch, can put a call out for you if you wish

Spandit - do said PigeonWatch folks also remove any 'accidents'?
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 08:51:29 pm »

Spandit - do said PigeonWatch folks also remove any 'accidents'?

Do you mean if a fox accidentally got in the way when they were target shooting? I'm sure they would. I bought a rifle from a chap in Leeds, can give him a shout and see if he's interested before opening it up to the public
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:04 pm »
I thought feeding foxes was illegal?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 08:48:14 pm »
Where abouts are you based? Im based North Leeds (weth area) and have a similar issue, their are some good shooters who will take out the lot in a couple of visits in the area - retrieved with a dog which goes straight after the gun to fetch - so pretty humane too.

I had 4 regulars but now nothing for a while, Didnt have to pay either, agreed they could come and take rabbits a couple of weeks later with air rifles as payment for taking the foxes out. Agreed same arangement if needed in future - and perhaps a bottle of wine or so.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »
They trap urban foxes, microchip them (they have a shaved patch at the bottom of their leg) and release them in groups into the countryside.

They are used to people and are often in poorer condition than our country foxes.

My friend used to have so many in his garden at night the lawn was literally covered in fox poo. Foxes do not travel in packs.

As others have said you need local pest control. Look on the message board in your food store or just ask aound.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:02 am »
These "well meaning" people will not understand that what they are doing is not only upsetting for poultry keepers and breeders of sheep but downright cruel to the foxes.They have never been taught to hunt, are starving and have no choice but to go for whatever is at hand and are shot or poisioned within 48 hours of "freedom" though after they have done their worst!!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:56 pm »
I saw a young fox, a red one, in the field sniffing around I'll have to keep a close eye on the chickens just in case. :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:24 pm »
We have had another spice girl situation over night. Turned twins out yesterday to "Cae Yr Cadno" - two have become one. I'm not going to get angry. I am going to get a Berretta and belt of three inch mags and hide in the hedge. See you all later.   :paw:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 07:29:40 pm »
We have had another spice girl situation over night. Turned twins out yesterday to "Cae Yr Cadno" - two have become one. I'm not going to get angry. I am going to get a Berretta and belt of three inch mags and hide in the hedge. See you all later.   :paw:
A few years ago we had a massive problem with foxes, since then not a single one. I really hope that your lambing goes well and that you do kill the fox. Remember that foxes, like dogs, have a super nose which means that their nose is super sensitive to smells, so be careful you hide where the wind isn't blowing in the wrong direction.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:45 am »
What are you trying to say WBF???! :huff:

Well either I don't smell as bad as you think I do or they don't smell as good as you think they do because:

This morning circa 5.30 I discovered that 4 x 3" mag at 25 yrds = -1 fox + a whole lot of lead  :farmer:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 08:51:54 am »
6 am this morn, drinking cup of tea looking out of our sitting room patio doors.
Beautiful sunny day, Curlews flying about, sheep all lay down cudding, peace reigns.
Not for long as a ginger fox walked straight past the window , heading for the chucks run  :-\
We have a jack russell and a colliexspaniel, if l see it again and let them out would they sort it out or would l end up with a vets bill  :thinking: OH has put in for his gun licence in december still waiting to hear  :rant:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS