Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglets and foxes  (Read 3743 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Piglets and foxes
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:41:31 am »
I am looking forward to getting some KK piglets soon. We're fencing off a good sized paddock for them and sorting out a nice ark!
I read yesterday on the KK forum that foxes can take young piglets and I think it said that they won't be safe just in an ark while they're small.
Do we need to have something more secure for them while they're young and small? If we do, what should we be getting? Is this just to shut them up for the night, or all the time?
Should I be worrying about this??
Thanks very much!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
Re: Piglets and foxes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:57:00 am »
I am looking forward to getting some KK piglets soon. We're fencing off a good sized paddock for them and sorting out a nice ark!
I read yesterday on the KK forum that foxes can take young piglets and I think it said that they won't be safe just in an ark while they're small.
Do we need to have something more secure for them while they're young and small? If we do, what should we be getting? Is this just to shut them up for the night, or all the time?
Should I be worrying about this??
Thanks very much!

People had always told us that foxes don't like the smell of pigs and therefore wont come near them. However, a fox met its match in my boars field a few weeks ago- so yes they will come in.
They generally won't take a weaner, but I'd recommend shutting them in overnight until theyre big enough to fend for themselves and have made a team together- better being safe then sorry :)

Photo's when they arrive please!  :pig:
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:58 am »
Thanks SophieLeeds. I'm happy to shut them in at night, we shut our pygmy goats in at night and I'd really like to shut the Ouessants in at night but they just don't want to go!
I wasn't sure if I had to have something safe for them during the day when we're not around, I was on the KK Society forum last night and someone mentioned a chicken run but we don't have a spare one!
Photos will most definitely be coming.
Found a breeder on the KK Society list yesterday, hope to go and see them asap!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36:47 am »
they will definitely take little piglets but lively weaners should be ok. you'd be very unlucky to lose a weaner.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
I've got a chicken run (Ark type) with the house bit at one end, that I have never used which you are welcome to if you fancy coming this far to get it? Someone owned it before me but its in OK condition. PM me if you're interested in it  for your KK piglets.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:14 pm »
One tried to take my weaners a few days old the sow killed the fox.....

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:27 pm »
I'd always thought all piglets would be safe from foxes because of the old farmers tale - but you do hear about the occasional one to be taken  :( I'd say it's definitely the exception rather than the rule though and your kunekune weaners will be absolutely fine (assuming they are fit and healthy) without needing a chicken run for protection  :thumbsup:

Good luck with your search and if you have any problems just drop me a pm and I can point you in the direction of a BKKPS regional rep  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS