Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: combinex alternative?  (Read 2975 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
combinex alternative?
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »
my vet has prescribed combinex for the goats but when I read the label it shouldn't be used in milking animals. I called to ask what else I could use and she didn't think there was anything suitable but suggested that I do some research on the internet and see if I can find anything......so I thought who better to ask than our friendly, helpful forumites?...... :eyelashes:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: combinex alternative?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:59 pm »
Sorry iv'e looked at flukiver  trodax      zanil   and white wormers all say not to be used if milk for human consumption ??

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:20:14 pm »
Flukicides are mainly never for milking animals, it can be really tough.
Albendazole and oxyclozanide i believe are your best options, with milk withdrawals listed for cattle that can be applied to goats, triclabendazole only comes in one formulation for milking animals which is i believe fasinex 240 but still has i think a 60 day milk withdrawal.
Then you can use another wormer for roundworms if required, i use eprinex which has 0 milk withdrawal.
Talk to your vet about the need for flukicide or round wormer as combinex does both and they may be able to let you know if you're actually not a risk area for fluke, or if resistance to roundwormer is low, you may be able to just use albendazole if there isn't white wormer resistance.
It is tough as vet school doesn't teach us much about either goats or wormers, let alone those with milk withdrawal periods suitable for goats!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:32 pm »
ah thanks for that fsmnutter, will check with them tomorrow if i need to have an all rounder or can treat seperately.  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:26:51 pm »
Found it confusing when I looked into this   ,in dairy cattle zanil has 72 hrs  milk wd     and albendazole  60 hrs   both say not sheep and no mention anywhere of goats

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
Found it confusing when I looked into this   ,in dairy cattle zanil has 72 hrs  milk wd     and albendazole  60 hrs   both say not sheep and no mention anywhere of goats

That's because it has never been tested on either goats or sheep - not enough of them around (for milk production), so not worth for manufacturer to go through very expensive registration and testing process. Vets can prescribe under the cascade system, and normally a minimum milk withdrawal (for humans) of 8 days is applied - unless there is one given for cattle. Not sure if this is applicable to flukicides though  ???

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:11 pm »
Quite right anke. Usually a withdrawal estimated from cattle eg 0 withdrawal in cattle can often be extrapolated to goats, or arbitrarily drawn at 8 days. Same principles apply whatever drug it is, but recently triclabendazole wormers have been hit with never if a cow will ever milk for human consumption.
Rule of thumb is often that milking goats are closer in nutrition and disease etc to dairy cows than sheep, so often better to ask a dairy vet or to think as if treating a dairy cow, hence not worrying too much about whether a medication says suitable for sheep.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:37:46 pm »
Try goatwisdom   they have a chart of differant wormers what they do and doses

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
terrific site thanks jinglejoys  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS