Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I did it! :D  (Read 10830 times)

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
Re: I did it! :D
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 05:43:37 pm »

And the flock movements is the AML1 form?

If you're in England, it's ARAMS not AML1 form now, and to Milton Keynes not local authority (although many are using old AML1s here).

You can do them electronically but I still do mine on paper and check what they're recorded on the electronic system (on https://aphisengland.arams.co.uk/fsportal/account/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2ffsportal)..

And if I recall correctly, Animal Health will want you registered with a vet too (or that could have been on the CPH reg call, it was a while ago for me).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:47:14 pm by Badger Nadgers »

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »
Well done lass, i'm going to ask the all important question that no one else has.........

So what breed did you go for in the end after your long debate?

With regard to paper work, it's really pretty simple, get a CPH number, if they are not kept on your holding, either use the one there, or remark it as a separate strip and get a new one for it. So many folk though, just use their own (of course no one on here, i'm sure someone will now say).

Apart from that it's just the flock number, and you actually have 30 days from the arrival of your sheep / goats to call and get one.

With regard to basic kit, I have a back pack, which is my sheep 'go bag', it contains, a drench gun, a spray gun (for crovect, clic etc), a set of dagging shears, foot knife, purple spray, red marker spray, ear notcher, note pad and pencil, a tail/testicle ringer and rings. . . . . I think that's about it, and I usually have what I need. Oh and my crook, which is a wee bit bent now, but works.

Other than that it's hurdles, trailer, weighing scales and dog.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 08:06:07 pm »
I have done 4 seasons lambing with 2 different flocks, inside and out, sheared (wrapped fleeces) twice, been there pushing them through whilst been dosed, and brought them in too many times to count.........

OK, I think we need to do a deal here. I'll show you the paperwork bits (I think I've mostly gotten them figured out now, having totally messed it up the first time), and you can show me what to actually do with the sheep themselves  :roflanim: .

Who'd have thought it could be so complicated eh?    It could be worse though - you could be my 80 year old shepherd friend who knows everything about sheep but nothing whatsoever about computers or websites. At least you're young and will learn it all quickly!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
  • 17, starting small with my 8 ewes
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:51 pm »
I did think when I first looked it was on AML1 but when I checked today it seemed to be an online thing with the opportunity to register, seems I'll need to do that too?

I went for 3 suffolk crosses, 3 texel crosses, and 2 charrolais crosses, bit of a mix! :) all a nice size, conformation, and a cute face of course! ;)
Thank you that all seems to make sense, obviously need to make a shopping list! my mum already has a crook, so i'll nick that i think!  :innocent:

That sounds like a good plan lol!  :thumbsup:
Yeh, I'll get the hang of it, obviously need to ring a few people tomorrow!  Just confirmed my grazing too so that is good :) they'll be sharing with beef cows, that'll be ok? Land hasn't had sheep on it for 15+ years so should be disease free?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:02:29 pm »
 :wave: Hi great to hear a young girl so enthusiastic and going for it ... best of luck.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »
Hope your sheep bring you lots of enjoyment. Don't worry too much about not understanding the paperwork, I do it for a large farming flock and I still get confused when I read through the letters that come through. It sounds like you know your sheep, and part of the fun is learning. If we knew everything I guess a lot of us wouldn't need to be on here  :wave: how many sleeps till they arrive? :excited:

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:32 pm »
I did think when I first looked it was on AML1 but when I checked today it seemed to be an online thing with the opportunity to register, seems I'll need to do that too?

I use the PDFs from http://arams.co.uk/Movements.aspx and pop them in the post.

Recording the actal movement entirely electronically is a faff.

I only use the online system to check they received them and recorded the movement as (in case of inspectionssionce that is what the inspectors will be comparing with).

If you need an electornic version of the holding register they're at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sheep-and-goat-holding-register (the Excel one has some PITA macros)

I think the paperwork gets worse if you claim on ELS/HLS or other schemes...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 02:00:32 am »
Well done lass, i'm going to ask the all important question that no one else has.........

With regard to basic kit, I have a back pack, which is my sheep 'go bag', it contains, a drench gun, a spray gun (for crovect, clic etc), a set of dagging shears, foot knife, purple spray, red marker spray, ear notcher, note pad and pencil, a tail/testicle ringer and rings. . . . . I think that's about it, and I usually have what I need. Oh and my crook, which is a wee bit bent now, but works.

Other than that it's hurdles, trailer, weighing scales and dog.

Ear notcher ???  I think you would only used one of those if your sheep are mixed with another flock?  I don't know because I've never used one in the 19 years I've kept sheep.

Before they arrive you will need to have your fencing secure and a water bucket. 
Look around the pasture they are going on for any poisonous plants or dangerous stuff like old bits of fencing left lying around.

Ask the seller when they were last treated with an anti flystrike product, and get them to repeat it if necessary before they leave the breeders land.

It's worth worming them before they go onto your land, so they arrive clean. When we sell our sheep we worm then as they go into the trailer so perhaps your seller will do this for you.  If you can, shut them in for 24 hours so they drop any worms on a hard surface that you can sweep and burn the bedding.  That way it should mean no worms on the pasture.

Once you have them, get some dagging shears and foot trimmers - you can get small ones to fit a woman's hands more easily. There's no rush to get these as your flock should arrive clean and with good feet.  With so few sheep, you will be able to get medicines by the dose from your vet if they are needed.

Hurdles will be useful but if money is an issue then usually something can be improvised or made until you can afford 5 or 6  two metre hurdles.

Once they are ready to breed is when you need to start looking at what you will need for your lambing kit, but for now there's not much which is essential.

Have fun  :excited:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 11:34:57 am »
Thanks for the well wishes  :D

With regards to movements (I think this is what is confusing me the most) so I register with ARAMS and then just use the paper forms and online to check they have gone through?

Thanks for the equipment suggestions, all seems to be what I was expecting to need, does anyone keep antibiotics in stock so they can just inject when needed? Or is it strictly on a buy-when-needed basis? (very different to the local farmers! lol)

Think I'll wait until after they're here to register the flock, waiting for the farmer to give me his CPH number to put on movement forms! But have contacted local farm vets today to see if I need to register, or they want a meeting (?) or health plan drawing up or anything

THEY ARRIVE ON SATURDAY  :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:11:54 pm »
Fleece Wife - I find an ear notcher an invaluable tool, it is an easy way to keep track of things - i.e using it as a cull marker during the year, so that when it comes to the time to sort out the flock, your are not trying to remember just which ewe was a crap mum, had problems lambing, or has multiple bouts of lameness etc. Not for all I know, but plenty use it.

R.E A/B's we usually buy when needed, but often carry a bottle of Alamycin LA anyway, its handy when sorting feet etc.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »
Congratulations, wish I could have done it at your age. :D

I'm suprised not more has been said about quarantine worming.
Look up on the SCOPS website for their latest advise, you don't want to introduce resistant worms onto clean ground.
With only a few sheep it's best to get drugs as you need them by the dose from your vet, cheaper that way.

georgielmgm

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »
Thanks  :)

Had a quick look, seems interesting, not sure I'll really be able to do it though as I don't have a yard or pasture that sheep have already been on, would have been useful to know more in advance, but I'm going to read the rest of their website, thanks, good info  :thumbsup:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »
The most effective way to deal with worming them, would be to pen them on a quarantine piece of ground / hard standing, take an FEC and then worm appropriately, leave them for 48 hours and then put them onto clean grazing.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Don't know how far your new sheep have to travel , any new rams I buy are wormed before they leave their holding  and if  i sell breeding sheep they are treated one day, kept inside and travel the next day . so maybe speak to your seller

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS