Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raising calves  (Read 1387 times)

undergruntled

• Joined Feb 2014
raising calves
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »
I've seen a lot of calves for sale on preloved and when we get the now house (when!!!!) I would like to look into raising a couple.  I'd love proper cows but we only have three and a half acres, so I wondered if anyone here raised calves, maybe not for too long either, as there are only two of us  :hug:
We would keep two so they are company for one another and send them off at the same time.  If they went quite early (more veal than beef) would that help avoid me needing lots of handling equipment and tb tests etc?  They will be sharing the paddock with a few sheep and my horse.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: raising calves
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 01:08:50 pm »
I had 2 jersey Bull calves in 2013. we kept them until early December before the weather changed . They where 13 and 14 months old.
We got loads of meat, enough to keep us in beef for the whole of this year and plenty to sell aswell.
This year we have 4 Jersey x Angus Bulls. at the moment we are thinking of sending the Biggest 2 off in December again and keeping the other 2 until next year but it will depend what we need the outbuildings for
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS