Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing drake to young ducks  (Read 1948 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Introducing drake to young ducks
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:59 am »
Up until 2 weeks ago I had a lovely trio of white campbells, until the fox ate one of my girls :( The drake was being fairly rough with the remaining duck and my pen of young white campbells were getting very big (near on adult size, not POL yet) so I put the 3 ducks I'm keeping out with the chicken and drake and his remaining duck.

The drake has been really rough with them, they are looking a little dishevelled  :unwell: :innocent: so have taken him out and put him with the young drakes for the time being- any idea how long he should be apart from them for? He's almost too eager... I was thinking until the young ducks know their way around a little better, but problem is the minute he goes back in with them... any ideas?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Introducing drake to young ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:13:57 am »

When they do go back together, make sure they don't have access to a pond, as it has been known for drakes to drown a duck when they are too keen.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Introducing drake to young ducks
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:25 am »
They don't have a pond only shallow trugs for splashing in water. Just a little worried he was too rough with them, even my farmer OH said to pull him out and give them time to recover  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS