Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boots for barefoot horses  (Read 5949 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Boots for barefoot horses
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
My daughters big horse Baloo has been barefoot for years and this was fine when he was being ridden nearly every day in fact his feet were so hard that it almost sounded as if he had shoes on when he trotted along the road. My problem is that now he is arthritic and she now has a young horse to ride so I am riding Baloo and he is really feeling his feet, I don't want to go down the road of shoes  so had thought about getting boots for his front feet. There seems to be a pretty good choice out there and I wondered if anyone here had used any and what they would recommend? He is a big lad 17.1 Hh and 1/4 shire, 1/4tb and 1/2 Hanoverian so not a lightweight.
Anne

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Boots for barefoot horses
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:48 pm »
I had some Boa boots for when the Clydie first went barefoot. I no longer use them so if you are interested in a secondhand pair that has very little use check the size of your horses hooves and I'll see if I can find them and check if they would fit.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 06:30:46 pm »
I think the most important think is to get the boot most suited to your horse's foot shape, a friend recommended a particular company to me who stock a range of different brands and are very helpful about the different characteristics, I will see if I can find the info - we ended up fine without shoes at all so didn't use them.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
I am hoping that we will eventually be okay with out them too, but at the moment the stubble fields are pretty stoney and so are most of our riding routes I do know that when he was shod one foot had one shoe size bigger so think that I will probably have to buy two odd sized shoes, we have the farrier coming next week so I'll have a chat with him about it. I will check the size though Clydesdaleclopper  as I would be quite happy with a pair of second hand ones if they fit. If you find that info Mowhaugh I would be interested. :thumbsup:
Anne

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:50 pm »
Marquis boots by Equestrian select seem to stay on well and different parts can be replaced as they wear out, eg sole plate.  They have an inflatable cushion at the heel which helps with a snug fit without rubbing.  I used mine most days for about 7 years so although quite pricey they do last well.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »
As a farrier for over 20 years ive been to seminars and learnt how to fit many different types of these boots but to be frank i wouldn't use any off them on our own horses, ive seen so many minor to major injuries caused by them id prefer to see a horse footsore than see them fitted . Fitting from instructions only is a recipe for disaster.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:41:19 pm »
you have to really go with what suits the horse unfortunately. I've had some success with easiboot gloves and the easiboot back countries but have also used old macs-with no injuries, minor or otherwise. It can take a bit to learn how to fit them-they can crush the heel for example, or rub. Then there are other problems if you are on steep terrain (I've seen horse step out of gloves going up hill) or if your horse dishes for example.

the saddlery shop run a hire scheme and their customer service is excellent-they are god at recommending boots for your horse's size and hoof shape as well.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »
Sorry it has taken me ages to find the info, this is the link I was given
http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/D/Hoof_Boots-(Hoof_Boots).aspx

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:27:28 am »
If he is suddenly footy on stones and wasn't before, might be worth having a look at his feet seeing if he has any thrush developing in his frog, or if anything has changed in his diet or grazing, even wormer can make a difference to their feet.

Boots wise I have tried a couple of makes with my horses, got some easyboot gloves at the moment, I always find the saddlery shop has a good range, a lot of people like renegades as well.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
If he is suddenly footy on stones and wasn't before, might be worth having a look at his feet seeing if he has any thrush developing in his frog, or if anything has changed in his diet or grazing, even wormer can make a difference to their feet.

Boots wise I have tried a couple of makes with my horses, got some easyboot gloves at the moment, I always find the saddlery shop has a good range, a lot of people like renegades as well.
could you please tell me where you have the info that workers can change equine feet  please as its a new one on me /???

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 01:44:44 pm »

could you please tell me where you have the info that workers can change equine feet  please as its a new one on me /???

its quite well known, when you worm you are killing off lots of worms (well, hopefully) and this die off leads to waste products in the gut and an upset of gut flora. This can lead to very low grade subclinical laminitis. I've not experienced it with mine but have heard people attribute fattiness to it in the past.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS