Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stolen Carrots  (Read 2183 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Stolen Carrots
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:07:19 am »
He thinks I can't see him but I did the other day. Just because his back is turned doesn't mean I don't recognise the thief. He strolls up to the patch quite boldly but then turns his face away as he sidles to the carrots, looks for his prize and deftly pulls one up by the leaves. Then it's a dash to the field and eat it before sneaking back again.

Being a Dalmation is a bit of a giveaway when I'm the only one with that breed around here! :innocent:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Stolen Carrots
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:17 am »
Our Labrador used to do that with the sweetcorn  ;D but the Dallie was a meat-eater -preferably live food :o

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:31:14 am »
 :o  the thief!  :roflanim:

Maybe he found the new remedy for destruction of urate crystals  :innocent:  :D

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
I was wondering if my children had been in your veg patch, I caught them eating the carrots out of their ponies teas yesterday.  I do feed them, honest!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »
Our dogs can't get to the vegetables but two of them were eating potting compost from the trough of lambs' lettuce that they could get to. I've had to put it up on the table as there isn't much left for the plants.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:55 pm »
none of the dogs I have kept over the years have ever eaten vegetables from the plants, they have dug them up though. I remember one time I planted out a load of young plants and I came to water them in the evening and there were plants strewn everywhere, it was so upsetting, especially since I had been planting them out in the heat of the day! [ Only cause I was busy weeding till that time] I remember also one year a neighbours sheep decimated my veg garden, it was terrible and me and my mother were so upset, seeing as we had spent so much time planting, watering and weeding.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:07 am »
 I thought  you must have caught Peter Rabbit, complete with blue jacket! I've never had veg stolen but I did have a Foreign Black cat who would pick a runner bean and bring it to me to play "fetch" also a Border Collie who would help himself to raspberries :)
My friend's black Lab bitch also loves maize and will help herself to any she sees growing.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:10:16 am »
One of my goats will pick and eat tomatoes from the plant. Red or green, she's not fussy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS