Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muscovies  (Read 8208 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Muscovies
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:47 am »
I love Muscovies they are the best (along with call ducks!) happy ducks won't fly off so give them food, water and a safe place to take shelter and they will be fine! They breed really easily and I love watching the girls fly around!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33:57 am »
well, am in process of planning my duck house and overnight run. I have a very large pallet crate to convert. I am thinking to bolt on a galvanised mesh run. I am not sure where to place it yet-it wont be very moveable once its finished so some questions:

Is straw ok for bedding inside the crate?
Should I put a low perch in there as well?
If the run were to have a mesh bottom would that be too hard on their feet if on grass?
If the run was on paving slabs, would it be better to put a good layer of sand on top?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »
Muscovies will perch, the girls at least love to do this the boys get too fat! The girls also like to nest off of te ground if possible! Mine all have nest boxes about 3 feet off of the ground. It helps them escape the males too who can be total serial rapists!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:24 pm »
thanks roddycm. Can they hop up to a perch like poultry? or do they need to fly up? shell of duck house complete -just needs roof and fixin's  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »

The perches are best just above the ground, otherwise the drakes in particular can injure themselves when they jump down.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

beesathome

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 09:19:32 am »
:farmer:
Well I have a trio of muscovies and ten of this years that need rehoming urgently because of downsizing. Baldock, South Cambs, Central Beds.
Tel. 07910890460

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:25:56 am »
excellent, thanks.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:21:58 pm »
Thats a good idea from fleecewife. Maybe a low perche for the boy would be good! I never did this and my boys just sleep on the floor, I think I'm being a bit sexist haha I will put up some lower perches today!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 01:35:45 pm »
beesathome-for some reason your post didnt show up when I posted my last one. I may well be sorted for ducks but I have pm'd you.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 06:23:17 pm »
I keep mine wing clipped, especially when the ducklings get to the flying stage or mum would take them out for a flight.

When I got my first Muscovy duck out had six ducklings and I didn't bother wing clipping it thinking it wouldn't leave them.

five minutes after I released them into the garden, mum was sitting on the neighbours roof preening herself (two storey house) watching her brood from on high!  :innocent:

They only do that when you first let them out Clansman - they're dying for a fly and a wash and preen, after that they fly back to their young and stay with them, I wouldn't wing clip them.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Muscovies-help please
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:15 am »
well, he's here :) girls to follow shortly (ie as soon as I have the time to collect them). He's currently out with some growers and enjoying more space and a large kangeroo skip full of water.

Now, I am afraid it never occurred to me before that drakes can get as aggressive as cockerels and attack people. I can't imagine a full grown (or even part grown) muscovy drake is much fun if it does this. But I was told last night that it can/does happen. Obviously if it did I would cull (or get someone stronger to do it!) but how likely/common is it?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 11:39:03 am »

Ours were never aggressive, even to each other.  Maybe you should wait to cross that bridge if you get to it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:30 pm »
yeah, sorry-the info came at a bad time as I had to despatch a lovely Scots Grey cockerel last night-first time I have had problems with aggression and I was somewhat :( about it, its normal behaviour afterall. He was also 6months old and the largest I've done and I'm not sure I'd have the strength to do a full size drake! He really was splendid and I had a fab home lined up for him.

So I'll not panic yet :) thankyou.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 02:07:08 pm »
Not had an aggressive Muscovy drake yet, they usually either try to waddle out of your way or follow you looking for food!  ;D

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »
good to know  :thumbsup: thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS