Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat playground  (Read 3308 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Goat playground
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:01:02 pm »
Hi,
We have two young pygmy goats who are really lovely and very entertaining.
We have made them an area in the paddock with some 4x4 tyres and some big logs at different heights but we'd like to give them more to keep them busy and hopefully stop them getting up to no good.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. We didn't have to buy anything so far, I asked on Freegle for old tyres and got more offers than we could collect, and the same with the logs. So I'd like to stick with free stuff!
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Goat playground
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »
Hi ! You could try low tables, to jump on and off and wooden chests if you can get hold of them, on there sides to jump on and hide in, good shelter too. Large balls to knock about. Have a nice time !!! :roflanim:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:14:12 pm »
Pallets piled up on top of each other, upside down tattie box, trampoline, cable drum
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
Those 'all-in-one' picnic benches are good.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 11:32:34 pm »
There has been a video on Facebook recently of goats playing on a sheet of metal that is bent over in and arc. It's very bendy and the goats are enjoying running up in and feeling it move.

I have a pile of breeze blocks, a bench and an old, upturned wheelbarrow in the goat yard. They love to stand on the blocks and I'm sure it's good for keeping their hooves down when they jump on and off. The also enjoy getting on the bench, jumping onto the wheelbarrow and sliding down it.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:26:42 am »
Thanks very much Jaykay, Mad Goatwoman and Melmarsh!
All great ideas and I should be able to get the stuff from Freegle which is very helpful.
I love the video of the goats on the bendy metal!
Large balls are a good idea, hadn't thought of that either, so thanks again.

2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »
OH has constructed some small 'Neolithic' stone structures from some of his pet stones for our pygmies. Great for wearing down hooves. But we are in Caithness and stones are what we have most of !
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:21:29 pm »
mine discovered that they can see-saw on an upturned half barrel and some 4x2  ;D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:45 pm »
Only word of warning about curly tin is my billy sliced his front leg white bad on it being a twit. Luckily it healed and I don't think it has scarred but I have removed it for now.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:29:27 pm »
Chèvres en équilibre - goats balancing on a flexible steel ribbon

no goats were harmed in the making of this film  ;D

wriggly tin as we call it is horrible stuff, sharp edges galore so we don't use it apart from whats on the pig arks and they can't climb on that!
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS