Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first show on thursday - lots of questions!  (Read 5635 times)

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
first show on thursday - lots of questions!
« on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:10 am »
We are taking our ram and 2 lambs to our(and their) first show on Thursday. Has anyone got a list of things to take with us that you could share? I'm paranoid about forgetting something
I'm pretty sure the pens are outside on grass, do we need to take bedding? What about water - do we need to take some or will there be a tap there?
We have primitives (north ronaldsays) that need to be shown in their natural state so not too much beautification needed!
Our classes start at 9.30 - I'm guessing we'll be expected to stay until the end of the show before we load up and take them home again?
Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get it all straight in my head!
All hints and tips welcome!!

Thanks

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: first show on thursday - lots of questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:36 am »
Just for starters ;D
halters,
water buckets for each pen - there should be a tap somewhere  in the animal section but a water container may be easier,
full hay bags or sacks (not nets),
some browsing twigs - gives them something to do  (I know ::) ),
tarpaulin to cover pens in the event of :raining: :raining: or  :sunshine: :sunshine:
fold up chair
movement forms
breed display board - optional
baler twine - you never know when you might need it!

Yes, you will be expected to stay, probably until about 1600 - you may be in the Champions parade :fc: :fc:

Good luck :thumbsup:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:38:05 am »
Having just done our first two shows this year (so far!) ourselves, I know how you feel!
Generally the shows will have water easily accessible, but buckets will be required for putting it in, and any feed/forage they are used to, we bring a bag of our own haylage. We haven't brought bedding, and have been fine with grass pens at one, and an indoor one that had a light dusting of shavings.
Things to remember are movement documents (not sure where you are, but I'm in scotland and it's one there, one back, I fill in both, and send to SAMU within 3 days of show, and need to travel with you in case anyone needs to see it)
Depending on the show, you may need class/exhibit numbers and a way of attaching them to yourself, bulldog clips work well, and generally white coats for showing in are expected, usually smart dress underneath including shirt and tie.
We have our sheep (somewhat) halter trained, so I have a dirty halter for loading and a clean one for showing, it's often not required for primitive classes, but some will want on a halter, and you will want to be able to handle them in some sort of fashion so they can be held still while the judge looks, and are often run free in the pen as a primitive breed. We try to halter train ours a bit, it gives a bit of control if they are playing up, but the first few times they get a halter on, they death roll like a crocodile, so well worth a few days of training in the lead up!
Ours are Hebrideans, so similar class, and they only require a bit of picking the worst vegetable matter out, a bit of dagging/crutching if they have dirty back ends, and a wipe down around the horns, face and udder areas with a damp cloth to clean up the worst mucky bits. PS, don't bed them down before the show on shavings, they will be dry and clean, but you will not get the shavings out before the show! (we learnt this at the last show lol)
Other things you might want are a poster/business cards if you would like to promote yourself, bottle of water and snacks for yourself, it's warm under that white coat. We also take the pony poo scoop and rake to keep the pen cleanish and avoid them rolling in muck.
Normally there will be in the small print of the schedule or the pieces of information the show will have sent you a time after which livestock can be loaded and you can go home, some time in the afternoon generally.
Most importantly, enjoy it, and good luck!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 11:51:31 am »
After doing one show, all organised, water out, hay out etc looked at my ram lamb and he was just covered in hay - so the last time I took ready grass and put it in feed buckets for them to nibble on before being shown - saved a lot of time picking out hay out of shetland fleece  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
I tend to take water as our sheep can be very sniffy about other people's water, presumably because they've never tasted mains, and don't know what has happened to it if it is not brown!

Don't forget your waterproofs, suncream and a sun hat, plenty of drinks, a picnic or money to buy food.  This probably tells you more about me that about showing, but I always take loo roll!

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 10:53:24 pm »
Worth checking the tagging regulations. I'm pretty sure in Scotland lambs are supposed to be double tagged to show (even in commercial classes). I'm not sure what the latest is elsewhere.
Enjoy!

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »
Thank you for all the help so far. Another silly question. We have our numbers - they are kind of triangle shape with a half moon shape hole at the top - which bit of my body is this meant to attach too???? ??? I have seen some around the waist and some around the arm but both of those seem to be rectangular with a hole on each side.
Thanks
P.S yes we've experienced lots of death rolling - including legs in the air and eyes rolling but now we're at the stage of (generally) walking along quite nicely. :sheep:  ::)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:22 pm »
Sorry, I have no experience of sheep showing whatsoever but wish you the best of luck and most of all enjoy yourself.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:21:50 pm »
I use the bulldog clip and clip whatever shaped number to white coat pocket - horse people tend to tie around waist and some sheep people tie round arm - as long as displayed the choice is yours - have lots of fun  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 10:53:05 pm »
Thanks - I'm looking forward to it! Will let you know how we get on!

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:26:06 pm »
Hope you have pictures of sheep with rosettes to post later in the week ! :fc:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:03:01 pm »
Thank you for all your advice we had a great day. Small classes but we got a 1st with our ram, 1st and 2nd with the lambs. The lamb then got primitive champion and the ram was reserve - so better than we could ever of expected AND we enjoyed ourselves.
The judge was really helpful and gave us useful feedback, other exhibitors were really helpful too and we were overwhelmed with the numbers of the 'public' who came to talk to us about the ronnie's we couldn't get away!
We did take a tarp with us which was really useful not to keep the rain or the sun off but to keep the lambs in the pens! The gaps in the hurdles was perfect size for our lambs to skip through. Taking a bag of twigs and sticks was a great tip too - much more exciting than boring old grass.
We didn't get many pics but we are supposed to have some emailed to us - when they arrive I'll try and post them. Thanks again for the support, encouragement and advice.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:21 pm »
Well done you and all the  :sheep:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:29 am »

That's impressive hafod - well done indeed  :trophy:  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:50 am »
Very well done!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS