Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: eye infection?.......help!  (Read 1691 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
eye infection?.......help!
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:41:30 pm »
one of our girls had a weepy eye the othere, just the one eye and I thought perhaps she had perhaps poked herself in the eye in the long grass so washed it with warm water but now her eye has gone cloudy?....could it be pink eye or something else? if so what should I be doing? Terramycin ointment?

anyone got any advice?......  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: eye infection?.......help!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »
Could well be pinkeye, often starts with a poke due to grass/hay/silage.
The cloudiness is inflammation in the cornea, the surface of the eye, and may be a sign of ongoing infection, or a sign of healing, it can be hard to tell until time reveals whether or not it is getting better!
Antibiotic ointment is good (eg. Orbenin) but I would suggest also giving a shot of long acting terramycin injection and probably a shot of anti-inflammatory (eg. Metacam) would be useful too.
Hope she feels better soon!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »
just spoke to the vet and they are giving me ointment tomorrow and if that doesn't help i'll take her down to them for a look  :fc:

thanks fsmnutter
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:42:36 pm »
I always jag mine with long acting Tetroxy when they get pink eye, in fact, that's our vets' treatment of choice over ointment - I suppose with sheep mainly, when you only have to do it every 3 days. They mind it a lot less too.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »
 :fc:  It improves. Mine had a horrible eye from a butting session but the ointment, bathing it and in the end metacam and some antibiotics you would never know. I was sure she would lose her sight.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
pinkeye confirmed today by vet, got eye ointment and she's had an injection but they can't be sure they can save the sight in that eye  :(
just keeping an eye on everyone else and been told to give them all an antispetic face wash every morning for a week, that'll be fun  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS