Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to mince meat  (Read 10541 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: How to mince meat
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »
The first time in the mincer with blade and 6mm die then put all minced meat into fridge to chill for about 8 hours then out the fridge and mixed in my seasoning and chilled water then back into the fridge while I prepare the mincer. The mincer only has a 16mm die no blade and the meat turns to a paste. I am going to try next week with the fist mince at 8 or 10 mm what ever die I can get my hands on. I will let everyone know how I get on.
The blade forms an essential part of the mechanism that forces the meat through the holes in the plate. If you leave the blade out you will get mush as the screw is trying to push the meat but it is getting stuck at the plate and not going through properly. But be very careful because it is possible to put your finger through a 16mm hole and you don't want to do that. Also filling sausages straight from the mincer is a two man job and never the best way. Get a sausage filler. Mince once, season, mix, then fill. No need to mince twice.

Jaymac76

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »
I gave up with making sausages with my mincer just could not get it right I tried many different ways with none good enough. I now only mince once with a size 12 die in future I might go for a smaller die, I bought a sausage stuffer and used it tonight had a few teething problems you need arms like King Kong to crank the handle to push the meat down the stuffer, I over came the problem by adding a little more water I now need to taste the sausages in the morning. Hope this helps

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 12:06:09 am »
If you want gluten free rusk Wischenfelder .co.uk sell it and also sell all manner of seasonings, skins etc..

We found that their Lincolnshire sausage seasoning contains a lot of  salt so don't add any to the recipe .
If you don't like very salty sausages perhaps do as I did .
I only used half of the recommended seasoning mix and added  six tea  spoons of home dried rubbed up celery leaf and two heaped table spoons of home dried & rubbed sage , some fine chopped onions sprinkled on the final mince and made up to the weight with more gluten free  rusk which we made ourselves  from an on line recipe .

If any anyone is looking to try their hand at hand mincing I have a very good large heavy cast iron mincer Empire 22 hand mincer that I can't use any more which has an 80 mm bore & screw anchors down onto a thick table top or bench .
It is old and has to be washed well in hot soapy water before use and again after use  wash it then oil it with a decent olive oil whilst it's still warm to hold any rusting back store in a warm dry place wrapped in an old towel etc. not out in a damp cold shed where it will go very rusty in no time

Last year we spent over £90 on three brand new stainless steel plates & a stainless cutter plus another£ 38 on three brand new stainless stuffing tubes & a stainless steel stuffer backing  plate . It also has a home made wooden pine stuffing tool to help you retain your fingers after the session .

They have had to be superseded  with a decent electric mincer as my spine disability has started to make it nigh impossible for me to stand and turn the handle or lean over and fill the skins whilst Alison turns the mincer.

Re :- the slimy meat
 Try this order of doing things.

Use ice cold meat that has been prepped of excess fat , bone , membranes & sinew a few hours before mincing and returned it to the fridge , use  ice cold with crushed ice in it water to dampen the meat prior to mincing.
The colder the meat you're mincing the better it seems to mince but do be aware that shoving your hands into ice cold meat or mince can be rather painful if your cold sensitive.

Lay  the dampened cubed meat out on a tray , sprinkle the rusk ,herbs and salt over the dampened cubed meat and mix in well  . 
Now mince it up using the big 10 mm screen  .

When the mince is all through the mincer , re mince to the desired size .
Add the rest of the cold water to the final heap of minced meat after it has finally come through the mincer & you'll  keep it reasonably free of slime .

We are now on our fourth or fifth 12 pound batch of sausages , sausage meat & salami.
One thing that does stand out is that any membrane on the bits of meat tends to get stripped off and collects around the cutter on all mincers ,the only way to solve that other than be meticulous when prepping the meat  is switch off and remove the retainer , plate  to take it off then carefully undo the wound up material that is on the cutter & the auger  . On a hand mincer you might also have to take the auger out if it is really wrapped up on it.
This is usually only needed for the large 10 mm initial plate use , second and third mincing's  seem to go through most of the time .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

ArosP

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 11:15:28 pm »
Just mince it once and then mix by hand, it isnt neccessary to mince a second time. Rice flour works fine for gluten free

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
I gave up with making sausages with my mincer just could not get it right I tried many different ways with none good enough. I now only mince once with a size 12 die in future I might go for a smaller die, I bought a sausage stuffer and used it tonight had a few teething problems you need arms like King Kong to crank the handle to push the meat down the stuffer, I over came the problem by adding a little more water I now need to taste the sausages in the morning. Hope this helps

Me too - I have now spent a fortune!!! I only mince once as I like the texture not the paste.  I bought an excellent Italian stuffer that is very easy to use and the children have a go.  Using the mincer with a sausage attachment is hopeless.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS