Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Table Birds  (Read 9575 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Table Birds
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »
Hi (New on here), just wondered what table birds you are rearing this year?

Last year i kept some Ixworth Cock birds for the table and found them large framed with poor brest meat!

This year i am rearing some Sasso farm rangers which are 10 weeks now and will be ready in about 2 weeks time, dont like them much they are too much like broilers for me, un natural looking with bad movement.

I also have some Salmon Poulet Gaulois which i think are a Hybrid La Bresse, they have great movement and are really healthy birds free ranging well, not as heafty as the Sasso but thats fine.

Thinking of keeping some back to breed from or cross to a pure breed Cockerel!

What you think?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Table Birds
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:53 am »
We kept a batch of 20 Hubbards from day old. Not the bonniest but the nine cockerels have yielded 40.4kg. We'll be killing the 11 hens at the weekend but they aren't anything like as big.

We keep them in a pen on grass and move it twice daily. Best way we've found to keep them.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
Sassos - free range.   Like Rosemary, the cockerels generally finish at a dressed weight of about 4kgs.  Delicious flavour and don't go off their legs.  We've got 8 finishing week after next.......and 12 ducks  ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:48:40 am »
We're doing Ixworth this year to try. They look good so far I must say. I expect it very much depends on the strain. I'll be keeping the hens and have heard that it's good to cross them with an Indian Game cockerel so might try that next year. We'll also have a load of spare Copper Marans in a couple weeks so they'll go. We found them excellent last year. Very tasty if only 2.5kg or so.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:11:38 pm »
We've had hubbards and they were ok, I much prefer the flavour of the maran cockerels even if they are a lighter bird!

Now I have more space I am planning on trying a meat strain as close to fully free range as possible next year!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:11 pm »
Thanks for the replys :thumbsup:
The Salmon Gauloise are a much smaller healthier bird to the Sasso Ranger, so i am thinking of keeping two hens to breed on from next year, also one of the Sasso cock birds is quite fit, thinking of keeping him.

Has anyone tried this?
If so did they breed true to type or did you cross them with a pure breed?
I have also heard they are not bad layers, duel purpose is what i am aiming at.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:44 am »
Hi
I have found that to get exactly what you want you have to use x's. First of all you have to decide the key feature (meat wise) as flavour usually comes in the second breed. I usually go with breast meat so I always go for the Indian game now, as one year I didn't and regretted it as the quantity of meat was poor compared to that of my usual sire breed. Now that you have decided your key breed the next step is all about flavour and hardly anything to do with size as the Indian game will provide that. I have found that the in my case the the best x's have been the Dorking, light Sussex, cuckoo maran and the Plymouth Rock. But it is really up to you and how creative you are.

Hope this helps :chook: :chook:

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:10:38 am »
Sorry also lohmann brown x's loos work really well.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:18 pm »
Growing some Ross cobbs on at the moment free ranging and grain fed so much slower than normal. I have a breeding group of Ixworths that won't be ready until next spring for breeding. Big fan of the Ixworths, great layers and fantastic eating plus a rare breed that needs help.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »
Hi
I have found that to get exactly what you want you have to use x's. First of all you have to decide the key feature (meat wise) as flavour usually comes in the second breed. I usually go with breast meat so I always go for the Indian game now, as one year I didn't and regretted it as the quantity of meat was poor compared to that of my usual sire breed. Now that you have decided your key breed the next step is all about flavour and hardly anything to do with size as the Indian game will provide that. I have found that the in my case the the best x's have been the Dorking, light Sussex, cuckoo maran and the Plymouth Rock. But it is really up to you and how creative you are.

Hope this helps :chook: :chook:

I have some good Utility LS and Cuckoo Marans, anyone on here breed IG ?
As there dosnt seem to be many around
Also would you alway do first cross or is it worth crossing back a second time?

Anyone ever tried La Bresse as a pure or cross breed?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:57 pm »
I would like to do some meat birds but I would prefer to hatch them here at the beginning of next summer and free range them to begin with.

Can I get eggs from anybody for Sassos?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
Dave C, if you are aiming for dual purpose you might want to try Buff Sussex. They free range, which means that they are slow growing, but they turn into a good sized table bird. The flavour of the meat is exceptional.

I kept two hens from last year's chicks and they have laid an egg every day. Cannot ask for more. :)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:17 pm »
The Light Sussex i have are very good layers and a nice size, i would just like a bit more meat on the bone and finish a bit quicker, so i think a cross with an Indian game could be the thing.

If i can source a good IG Cock bird i could put it over my LS, Marans, Ixworth and Poulet Gaulois.
exciting times next season i think.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »
I'm going to keep a ross cobb pullet back and cross it with my Ixworth, worth a try.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:10 pm »
Defenetly worth a try mate
A lot of people are against using hybrids as crosses saying they will not carry on any of the meat gene.

They must bring something to the table, pardon the pun, ha.
I am going to do something similar, just not sure which way yet.
But look forward to hearing how you get on Fowlman.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS