Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need planning permission to open up an existing gateway into a field?  (Read 13080 times)

Teuday

• Joined Aug 2014
I have a gateway into a field which is not at present being used and the hedge either side has grown in front of it on the roadside. I want to open up the gateway so that the field can be accessed again from the road. Do I need planning permission?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Wouldn't have thought so if there's already a gateway there.

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
No.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
I would think if there's a gateway there, then you should be fine. If it's a completely new one, then I think you need to have planning permission. We have a strip of land, where we could put in a gateway, but have never done it yet.

Beth

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

You might need to check that the Roads Dept is happy for you to do this. It's worth a phone call.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
As I understand it, you require pp to open up a new gateway onto a classified road, but not an unclassified one.
However, as mentioned, if the gateway's already there, albeit covered, then you can reinstate it if you want.
But bare in mind that should you open up a gateway where you do need permission then it's not exactly a hanging offence. First of all someone has to notice and care enough to inform the council. Then in the worst case scenario the council will inform you of your trangression and you can put in a retrospective planning application.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
If it's not currently visible from the road I would take photos before and during the work that clearly proves the gate was always there. Or sods law the council will find reason to doubt it and you might be pushed to pay retrospective pp fees..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
At our previous property we had a old field gate onto a unclassified road.  As part of a planning application we wanted to open up the gate but the Highway Dept objected, and said it was too near a junction >:( .  It was fine 20 years ago, but not now ::) .
I'd take photos, then just do it :innocent:

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
There will always be someone who tells you you can't do it or it's problematic etc. Back yourself. Form your own view and if you don't see a problem get on with it. Keeping an agricultural field opening or right of way is important.

Ann-Eliz

• Joined Jun 2013
Just do it

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Do I need planning permission to open up an existing gateway into a field?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 12:37:31 am »
If you're  in England or Wales check your visibility splays requirement , if you don't have any..... reactivating an old gate way could see you fined or at the very least have to reclose it & then you are on the radar for being a problem.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Angusman

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Do I need planning permission to open up an existing gateway into a field?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:30 am »
its dependant on what You 'Understand' are You LEGAL or LAWFUL?
LEGAL i believe is a foreign [law] society (commonly known as the CROWN [not the QUEEN or Common Law),

In Commonlaw as long as You cause no harm to Your fellow man :thumbsup:

In LEGAL-land it will get most of man-kind confused, if You look up the words that seemed to have invaded and corrupted our common English for instance;
   apply means:

Application (n)
In the 18th century “formal request to a higher authority or employer”
Originally From 15th Century “the bringing of something to bear (liability) on something else”,
 from UKL Common Law, mini-dictionary 2014: http://dispatchuk.com/Mini-Dictionary-UKL-mini-book-0000222.htm

so 'planning permission' i believe sounds like an act of servitude or Slavery, which has been abolished Right?

So it more important to ask not" do i need to apply for Planing Permission",
but what stand point do You come from CROWN employee "PERSON" and their "planning terms and conditions" or a man with Common Law Rights,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS