Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland sheep flock for sale - Cumbria  (Read 10658 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Shetland sheep flock for sale - Cumbria
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
Dear all, I'm sorry I haven't been around for a bit. Life has been hard and is about to get harder. I have to sell all my sheep.

So - I have for sale the following Shetland sheep. I would like to sell them in 'families' if at all possible. They are all good quality, I have bought stock from highly regarded breeders. Many are 'feed from hand' tame, some are stupidly 'will be stroked' tame, and all will come to a bucket. I'm looking for £40 for a ewe, shearing or hogg, £30 for a gimmer lamb and £25 for a tup lamb - discounts for quantity!

Gimmer lamb, gimmer hogg = young females. Moorit - dark brown at base, 'sun-bleached' caramel at top, katmoget = badger-faced and dark underneath, gulmoget = mirror image of katmoget.
The numbers are ear tag numbers, for my reference. The tup lambs are all entire, and will need separating from their mothers/sisters in the next 3-4 weeks, so I'll consider selling them separately, or a family group without them, if necessary. The ewes are 2-4 shear.

Please PM me with your email, if you're interested in any particular sheep and I'll send you more photos of the relevant ones, and I can give you better details of the individual sheep.

Gulmoget family

Moorit gulmoget ewe
Grey gulmoget tup lamb 97
Grey katmoget gimmer lamb 86

Grey gulmoget shearling
Grey gulmoget gimmer lamb 94

Black gulmoget gimmer hogg - she needs to go with her big sister, or with her mother, above.

Reva's family

Reva - moorit ewe
Moorit gimmer lamb 91
Bea - fawn katmoget gimmer hogg

Snowy - white ewe
Breeze - white gimmer hogg
(Snowy had a white tup lamb this year, but another ewe head butted and killed him! - not her fault, she took good care of him and had plenty of milk)

Grey katmoget ewe
Grey katmoget tup lamb 24
Grey katmoget gimmer lamb with white patches 93

Grey katmoget shearling
Black gimmer lamb 95

Grey katmoget gimmer hogg - needs to go with her sister or mother, above.

Moorit katmoget ewe
Grey katmoget gimmer lamb 96
Pale moorit katmoget tup lamb 89 - (SallyintNorth has first dibs on him - she came to look at the flock, so 
                                                       could answer as to what they're like)

Ember - moorit ewe
Black gimmer lamb 88
Black panda gimmer lamb 90

Angrholm black shearling
Black gimmer lamb 92

Bought black ewe
Moorit katmoget gimmer lamb 87

Pretty eyes - fawn katmoget shearling
Moorit katmoget tup lamb 99

Fawn katmoget ewe
Black tup lamb 25
Grey katmoget tup lamb 100

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:30:29 pm by jaykay »

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Shetland sheep flock for sale - Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:41 pm »
Can you pm me your location (cumbria is a big place) I have limited internet but emails work fine or email me direct on davidbloomer@tesco.net

Working off phone so was struggling to work stuff out! Does one of the families work out to about 5to7 head of stock?

Do you have any boys that need to go away this year?

Please Pm me or email answers and I'll get back to you asap!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »
Have PM'd you. J

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
As folk say in these parts 'I'm sorry for your trouble'.  :hug: Wish you were nearer as they all sound and look lovely. Hopefully they'll all find as loving new keepers as you have clearly been
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:55:22 pm »
Hope you get homes for them all, sorry to hear this :hug:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »
Thank you both :)
Yeh, I know how to pick good sheep and other animals, it's the picking a husband it seems I'm bad at!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:11:13 pm by jaykay »

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:59:47 pm »
Jaykay - so sorry to hear that you are having to sell your flock - it must be a really hard decision and I admire you for making it - don't you wish humans were as loving as our animals!?

I would love to take them as I am just starting off with my small holding but I need to get organised with fencing!

Best of luck and I am sure that your TAS friends will be a great support to you....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:01 pm »
As you would expect with animals selected/bred and cared for by jaykay, these are, in my opinion, exceptional sheep.  Lovely fit happy animals, free-moving, strong shapey Shetlands.

I'll be buying a couple of females as well as the tup lamb - just wish I could take more of them!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:53 pm »
Thanks edandfred, and thank you very much for the endorsement Sally.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »
Very best wishes - I sincerely hope that your sales will be as trouble free as possible, you are obviously a careful shepherd and that your animals will benefit from this

edandfred

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kelso Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:52:28 pm »
Hope all goes well , as I am sure it has been a hard decision for you to make and I really admire you for making it under difficult circumstances ! But I am sure everyone on TAS are behind you !!  :-*

Wish I could give them a forever home  ,but just waiting to get my fencing sorted out otherwise I would have liked to have taken on my first flock and given them a good home (even though I am a newbie!!) !

Best of luck and please share with us what happens next! ! Good luck !! :D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:42:47 am »
Och really sorry to see this post Judith, I sincerely hope it all turns out right in the end.  All the best to you.   :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:15 am »
Jay kay all the best hope all is well .I done the same whith my sheep and things workt out .

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:17 am »
Hi Gary, and Amanda, and everyone.
Thank you very much for all the good wishes, it's very much appreciated. I feel rather 'on my own' dealing with it right now.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »
Really sorry to hear this Jaykay - sending big  :hug:  and hope things sort them out soon - wish your beautiful sheep were a bit closer - lucky SITN  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS