Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No apples - do you have some?  (Read 8430 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: No apples - do you have some?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
Thanks for replies .... it was such a lovely year for blossom this year, but as many of you say it may be down to timing ... and a good year for everyone last year on fruiting, so not so this year for most of us (sept you Mads!). 

Oh well, maybe make plans for next years bumper crop then  :D  at least it's not something we've done or not done that's the cause.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 01:30:11 pm »
 North west of you  plums , pears no prob but no apples around here , was lots of blossom

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:49:25 pm »
There are lots of blackberries on the roadside bushes. I didn't expect that 2 years in a row.  :) Mmm I love blackberries
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 04:39:08 pm »
There are lots of blackberries on the roadside bushes. I didn't expect that 2 years in a row.  :) Mmm I love blackberries

Eat them staight from the bramble for a high protein meal or salty water and surprise..... :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »
Just come back from walking the dog and ate a few as I went along  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »
My Bramleys are doing well despite removing a couple of huge branches at last winter pruning.  I've not thinned enough but there are lots self falling so I have left them to it.  The one remaining plum tree looks fine too, tho they're not as advanced as the apples strangely.   Damsons had loads of blossom but got a leaf curl problem and most blossom didn't bear fruit tho there is new leaf growth and a few damsons visible.  The younger trees aren't producing much as yet, if anything - Discover has 2 wee fruits but both very red already, I'm just letting them be this year, likewise my one poor wee pear which lost half it's branches last year and is in recovery.

Strangely the berries have been really early and all but gone already, rasps were on full flow in July but waning now, my thornless blackberry is hopeless, berries huge and juicy but not coming off the stalk except in mush and now the wasps have got to those :(  Brambles across the road are coming along better so may go wild again.  Rowan trees around here are already full of red fruit which is again early I think.  Not sure what to make of it all so I just go with the flow..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »
The established trees that we have had a great show of blossom but I've only counted about 10 apples. We have one plum - that's singular plum, not tree. No pears and no cherries.

The young trees that I planted are doing proportionally better, but of course I have to snip the fruit off for the health of the roots.

Maybe next year will be better.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 11:11:18 pm »
wev plenty of apples this year.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:43 am »
Loads of apples here too - and other fruit really (although the birds nicked all the cherries but we've had apricots and peaches - yay!). I've had to strip most of the apples off our baby trees early - the birds have been landing on them and breaking branches (including some of the major ones I'd selected as part of the structural pruning grrr) so it was easier in the end to take them all off and feed them to the turkeys and geese who fight over them. But the older trees are pretty laden and nearly ripe.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 04:58:29 pm »
A ripe plum caught my eye yesterday, so I've been down to have a look at the fruit trees. One plum tree has a good crop, the other nothing. I picked a few plums, but there were only a few ripe enough to pick. Bramley apple is laden, and the eating apple ( I don't know the variety, but they are quite tasty) looks to have a reasonable crop.

Nothing on the greengage, I already had checked it thoroughly, a few times, it's been planted for four years, and so far has produced nada!  :(

Beth

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:48 pm »
I have apples on one tree but not on the other 2. They did have flowers in the Spring for the first time so I expect they are just young.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS