Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It is never too late to change;  (Read 3728 times)

Steptoe

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Co Antrim N Ire
It is never too late to change;
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:15:24 pm »
Retired - not a good word in truth - free from slavery with no have to -Yes!  :wave:
Born in 1946 and reared on a small mixed farm was a priceless privilege best appreciated when such opportunity is all but gone. However, my wife and I now  live the good life, growing or rearing as much as we can for our own use.

We simply don't believe that modern methods of food production are as wholesome or healthy as they might otherwise be. And yes you can tell the difference. An egg from a free ranging hen, in the full and true sense of the description, as opposed to a hen with limited access to outside for a time and the inclusion of a food additive to improve the colour of the egg yolk, are two different things entirely. Milk from an animal grazing on natural pasture , consisting of naturally fertilized grass and with the inclusion of lots of healthy herbs [weeds to the uninitiated] and no artificial fertilizer or slurry will taste differently.

Potatoes and root vegetables grown on rotted farm yard manure will have more flavour that those same products grown with the addition of fertilizer. Home made bread and jam, fresh off the griddle - ya can't bat it  :excited:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:31:58 pm by Steptoe »

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
Re: It is never too late to change;
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:49:19 pm »
 :wave: welcome from Caithness - you'll find kindred spirits here aplenty  :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »
Hi Steptoe - My happy sheep, goats and ducks would agree with you - welcome  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:13:17 pm »
Yup !  Very true  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:34:48 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie where today's job is to kill and process the eight cockerels from this years batch of meat chickens (one already done earier in the week and the eleven hens to do next weekend). Not my favourite job but worth it for the result - grass fed chicken -  :yum:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:26:32 pm »
Steptoe, it's great to welcome another person who shares our views. Nothing like fresh vegetables either - and by fresh, I mean straight from the plant not picked, stored, transported by lorry and then sold. And nothing like eating your own-produced meat.  :wave:

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:12 am »
hello & Welcome  :)

OH made strawberry jam from our very small strawberry patch!  hey it's a start. ;D (along with the wheelbarrow)  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS